Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We had one, I lived in Hucknall and they were obtained from Hayward and Davenports Stationers on Watnall Road........

We used to have Corona Pop, the van came every Friday and we had 5 bottles, American Cream Soda, Dandelion and Burdock, Lemonade, ginger beer and Orangeade, lasted all week, one glass per person per day.................And there was a dessert (pudding) called cremola, I just loved it.......

We had one of those..........

CP. It dates from the 1960s. It belonged to my dad, and I 'inherited' it when he died. Moral - never throw anything away; today's junk will be tomorrows talking-point. Like Blondie's listing, it was published by the local printer - in this case Butler of Bulwell.

My mum's cousin had one like that and he used to have his wife and child in the sidecar. That was about 60 years ago, though!

My dad had a very strange vehicle,it was like a motorbike at the front with a square box thing on the back,us kids had to sit on the floor,it had no seats! Don't know if he made it himself or it was bought from somewhere.

'orrible things combos; they have a mind of their own. Years ago I was with the Bulwell motorbike lads, and one of them - Johnny Bennett (his mother had a sweet shop on Nuthall Road) and I were standing outside the Olympia in the marketplace. He was waiting for a young bloke who had an ex-Army Norton 16H combo to arrive and let Johnny ride it. He had never ridden a combo before and was looking forward to the experience. The bloke came and John got on it rode off towards Cinder Hill. He was gone for ages when another of the lads rode up and said there had been some kind of accident at the Fire Station. We put two and two together, got on our bikes and rode down there, arriving just in time to see John coming out of the Fire Station on a stretcher into an Ambulance. The Norton had its girder forks bend back and the bollard in the middle of the road was flattened. He wasn't too badly hurt and was soon back in his own saddle again.

My dad had a BSA /Watsonian combination and later an AJS /Swallow combo.

I used to love going in them particularly when it was dark. Through scratched perspex, each street light was an enemy plane coming towards me and I was in my Spitfire. Imagination running riot.

• Upvote 2

When I was 14 years old my older brother bought a 650cc Triumph ? with a double adult sidecar. The reasoning being on a provisional license you could only ride a bike up to 250cc but with a sidecar fitted there was no limit to the size of the bike & could legally be ridden with L plates displayed by a provisional license holder.

I kept pestering him for a "Go" on this motorbike, a real beast it was too. Unbeknown to the both of us the previous owner had removed the steering damper, us not having a clue tried to work out why the combination was so unstable, almost impossible to ride in a straight line, but when it was going in a straight line, boy did it go !

At the time we lived on Union Road, St Anns & he let me try it out on Northumberland Street.

Being 14 years old I knew everything there was to know about motorbikes, I had never ridden one of these things but this would be such an easy task, or so I thought.

I climbed on the bike & managed to kickstart the "Beast" into life, what a noise it made, especially as I kept revving the thing even higher, just so as many of my mates as possible could see me on the bike.

I squeezed the clutch lever on the handle bars & selected first gear, giving the engine even more revs I let the clutch out & took off like a rocket !

I knew straight away then what a steering damper was for, without one you had serious problems trying to keep the combo in a straight line until speed was reached & the initial drag from the weight of the sidecar was balanced out.

As I tried to accelerate the combo pulled into the kerb then I pulled on the handlebars to try & correct the steering, impossible. This was not going to work. Not realising I then had a horrible thought, St Anns Well Road was fast aproaching in front of me, what was I going to do ? I decided to select a lower gear for some reason which I don't know even to this day why, but the combo stood on it's nose & then the sidecar smashed into the nearest lampost, this double adult sidecar was now a single adult sidecar, suitable for a two foot midget only.

I was propelled over the handlebars to finish sprawled out on the road, after picking myself up off the ground I saw my brother running down the street towards me, not having the slightest concern of my wellbeing, no, only the condition of his beloved combo he bought the previous night for £8 off a bloke on Carlton Hill.

After he surveyed the damaged sidecar I remember him chasing me back up Northumberland Street, threats of death & violence filled the air with one or two choice words thrown in for good measure.

That, was the first & last time I ever rode a motorcycle combination. As all lads wanting big poweful motorbikes at sixteen years of age I passed my test & bought a big solo motorbike.

Happy days !

• Upvote 7

My mum's cousin had one like that and he used to have his wife and child in the sidecar. That was about 60 years ago, though!

My uncle Alan had one........

#2963: Gas pokers for lighting the fire........

I have an open fire and use a gas poker. However, we don't have mains gas here in Caithness so I use a home-made version that uses Calor Gas from a cylinder thus:

IMG_3760.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Steam loco water tower. This photo was taken yesterday at Altnabreac railway station, said to be the most remote station in the UK network, some 16 miles from the nearest village or shop.

More photos of the area here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/Altnabreac12September2015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMfr-5Lc9eeppAE&feat=directlink

Water tower:

IMG_4002.JPG

• Upvote 2

Here's a photo I took by the Trent in early summer, 1969. Note the large river barges moored at the British Waterways warehouses. I haven't seen a large river barge for many years. Are there any remaining on the Trent I wonder? The lad is my younger brother and he is holding the biggest fish of the day. The girl almost out of shot was my wifey and unborn daughter (Sorry about the quality - taken from an old and battered slide):

2015-09-17_6.JPG

• Upvote 5

Talking about Corona - Blondie #2692 - do you remember Beer at home means Davenports? Mum and Dad had some every Friday. One Friday they were having a big row when he looked in through the front door saying cheerfully "Davenports" - "s**t" shouted Mum. Yes people call it that but I am supposed to say Davenports he replied. It stopped the row Mum and Dad fell about laughing.

• Upvote 1