Things you don't see anymore

I think everything we did was dangerous, Michael, but we all survived, well most of us! Climbing trees, standing up on the swings to see how high you could get, playing in the street, fishing for tadpoles,disappearing for the day, the list goes on and on. I'd have had a fit if my kids had done any of this.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Thought i was wild Michael................but my kids leave me standing.............and i say.........good luck to em.

Bit Bins.

Came back to me this morning,sitting in my newly laid out Den/office/parlour,thought whats missing?years ago we always had a bit bin,where you put all manner of bits,...........i think they replaced the 'Open fire'....when we just burnt our bits..lol.

Anyway going to get one,told the Wife..........she just said 'Dirty Bugger'..............what did you used to put in ya' Bit Bin ?

Gas pokers?

GAS POKERS!!??? :Shock:

Well actually I do remember them.. My Auntie Marion who lived on Ruff's Est. in Hucknall had one. But I always thought they were a bit pointless and a waste of gas. It's dead easy to start a coal fire with a few sticks, but it's also not dificult with a few bits of rolled and twisted newspaper.

All of which brings me onto a few observations and memories about coal fires.

LONG POST ALERT!!! :biggrin:

I remember going into neighbours houses and wondering how they survived the winter with a few bits of coal smouldering in a flat fire at the bottom of the grate. It wasn't until my Dad, a miner, pointed out that we got our coal essentially free, that I understood that many people simply couldn't afford to burn coal like we did. In fact a few times a year, as the 'Concessionary Coal' wagon turned up with our regular delivery, my Dad would drop the delivery blokes a couple of quid and ask them to take half the load to my Grandad's house.

The only time we were without coal was in the evil winter of '63. There was no shortage of the stuff but the transport system was so frozen up that it couldn't be moved about. Us kids were out on the fields to the north of Bestwood estate, finding anything that would burn and bringing it home.

Even when we had plenty of coal and a roaring fire, the rest of the house would be freezing.

Sometimes as we all sat round a great glowing fire on a cold evening, we'd hear the water in the back boiler behind the grate start to boil. Tremendous racket, the cure for which was to shoot into the kitchen and run off a few gallons of scalding water to calm things down a bit. What a waste!

We used to have our chimney swept a couple of times a year. A chap called Mr Burgin used to come up on his bike, with his rods and brush strapped to the crossbar.

He had a big canvas shroud type thing which he used to NAIL to the wooden bit of the fire surround to prevent all the soot falling into the living room. Then we'd go outside to look for the brush popping out of the chimney. When he'd done the soot was always piled in a corner of the garden to 'weather', before being sprinkled around Dad's rose bushes.

Chimney fires were quite a common sight. Caused AIUI, by either not having the chimney regularly swept, or by having too many smoky, poorly burning fires, which would deposit lots of sooty, tarry stuff in the chimney which would eventually catch fire. You couldn't miss it. Thick yellowish acrid smoke would pour out of the chimney and be visible for miles. Often the Fire Brigade had to be called and the result could be a very big mess in the living room. I only recall it happening once at our house. My Dad just got an old sack soaked in water and shoved it up the chimney. The steam generated put the fire out. At least thats how I remember it.

Occasionally, the fire would be a bit sluggish, or maybe we'd let the fire get too low and then put too much coal on at once. Result, little hot air going up the chimney, so the fire could just go out. To get it to 'draw' properly, we'd hold a newspaper over the hearth opening so that air was forced under the fire and up the chimney, getting it going again. Naturally, the paper usually ended up catching fire, and even as quite small kids, we got quite adept at swiftly screwing the paper up and shoving it onto the fire.

At Christmas, we'd write out our very optimistic list of requests for Santa and then let the draught of the fire take them up the chimney, where Santa would magically find them.

One sound remains in my mind associated with Sundays. Sunday tea would always include tinned Salmon, or maybe Crab. Dad would always throw the empty tin onto the fire to 'burn it out', so that the smell of fish would disappear and not attract cats when it was put in the bin. The tin would 'crackle' very distinctively until all traces of fish were gone.

Just about the only thing in the bin was coal ash. Practically everything else went on the fire. Peelings, old packaging etc.was all burned. My Grandma though disapproved of putting any food onto the fire. 'Feeding the Devil', she called it.

Our council house on Bestwood Estate had a small wooden hatch halfway down the side wall.. The Coalmen would bring their hundredweight sacks of coal to the hatch and sort of back up to it to tip the coal into the coal hole. From the inside of the house, a door in the kitchen gave access to the coal hole. Most people soon stopped keeping coal there though and kept it in the small outhouse instead. Rumours of coal being kept in the bath are, I suspect, largely unfounded.

All changed when the houses were refurbished. Central heating was fitted and the coal fires went.

As a school leaver around 1965- 67, I worked at the Coal Board Laboratories at Cinderhill. I soon learned there that there is a lot more to coal than meets the eye.

But that's another story.

Col

• Upvote 4

#2994. Reading about putting a piece of newspaper over the fire to 'draw' it took me right back. It was quite exciting judging the right moment to take it away

I REMEMBER the Coalhouse delivery door Col,i was bought up on Andover rd (the posh end nr the Post office,lol) and in the 50s me and a few mates Nev Olpin,Harry Fewkes,Charlie Tacey,and others used to walk the railway line between Arnold rd and Marble Arch with a bucket collecting coal that had fallen from the Coal Wagons.

Post Office end eh? My word that was posh. I mean... you were practically in Sherwood! ;)

Meanwhile, down at the 'povvy' end, by the council tip, we used to go over to the Great Central by Bulwell Common station and scrabble about for bits of coal there. Also used to find those little coal 'Briquettes' that were shaped a bit like a small bar of soap and made of compressed coal dust. I think it was called 'Phurnacite'.

Hmm. Seems it's still available: .

Phurnacite_25kg_web_1.jpg?itok=38C0fARD

Col

• 2 weeks later...

White dog s***

Cheers

Robt P.

WITH APOLOGIES FOR THE QUOTE:

This is for you Rob, wherever you are. Photographed in Churston Cove, 27th Sept., 2015 (Saw this and immediately thought of you):

DSCN2410.JPG

I found a valve for a Vina pressure barrel in our kitchen bit drawer yesterday. Coincidentally, I have just bought new seals for just such a valve whilst away on hols.

I had a lovely old teak cabinet wireless receiving set that I trusted my late father-in-law to store for me. I returned from the RAF to find that he had dumped it.

You have my sympathy Compo, similar situation with me and a push bike (early 1900's ladies Raliegh) I had restored to pristine condition,left it in Father in law shed until I had room for it,he gave it to the council scrap man!!! oh how I (could have) cried

Rog