Things you don't see anymore

Mum sounds better, but then I'm just a snob at heart.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

It just sounds so...... Well, working class, and I don't mean that in a nasty, condescending or patronising way.

Eileen,........if i 'd said Homogenisation to ME MAM,.........I 'd have got a bat round me Tab.........she was so working class.....thank the Lord.......lol.

Let alone what 'Pater' would have made of it.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a group of Oddfellows to me.

When I was a kid in the Medders, we all had Mams, except one goody-two-shoes who had a Mummy.

I still call her Mam today, sometimes Mother when she's winding me up. She should be called Mam though, she expects to be treated like the bleddy Queen!

• Upvote 4

When I was a kid in the Medders, we all had Mams, except one goody-two-shoes who had a Mummy.

I still call her Mam today, sometimes Mother when she's winding me up. She should be called Mam though, she expects to be treated like the bleddy Queen!

Yes quite right TBI,.............Bunch of 'Mummys boys............lol.'

• Upvote 1

Oh, we must have been posh then ........ I called my parents Mummy and Daddy til I was a teenager, then they were Mum and Dad. Occasionally, in recent years, I called my Dad 'Daddy' which made him so happy, I think it reminded him of happy times when I was small.

My Mum was brought up in the Medders and she did used to say 'our Mam' when referring to her own mother. My Dad grew up in Lenton and his family were a little posher, his Mum was 'Mother'.

• Upvote 5

Yes you were posh Lizzie,...........but seriously its what ever you were happy with,...........when she was small my Daughter called me 'DA' Which i found lovely and now when she's happy she refers to me as Daddy,.............my Grandson refers to Donna as 'Bim' which is really nice,don't know where he got it from,

• Upvote 3

When did you last see a wagon with tarpaulin sheets & ropes covering the load ?

Like this one.

Tram%20Ac-001_zpsnp5snrxw.jpg

Roping & sheeting was an art to get right, I was fortunate to be taught by an old timer.

Not an easy task.

• Upvote 2

It was a skill I never lost touch of Catfan. Wish I were still doing it today.

• Upvote 1