Things you don't see anymore

When I was a kid, girls wore long beige socks and the boys (always in short trousers, come rain or snow) wore long grey socks. And what did we keep them up with - garters. Pieces of elastic sown into a circle by our mams. I'm guessing nobody had shop-bought ones.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

At least they covered the marks from almost permanent welly wearing.

To continue with the footwear theme - socks don`t seem to get holes in the heels any more.

I remember getting knocked down on Mansfield Road on the way home from school and lying in the gutter absolutely mortified because my shoe had shot off and I had a great 'spud' in my sock. (Sensitive soul, wasn`t I?)

However, I was chuffed to be carried into the Jaguar showroom to await the ambulance. Dead posh!

Funny that the main memory was the hole in my sock.

• Upvote 6

I was going to say Lincrusta wallpaper. Looked it up on Google to see how it was spelt and found that you can still buy it. So I won't mention it.

• Upvote 1

#3258: I can't help with the Bass logo on lamps but I do have a Bass hand pump on my bar (With apologies for the Cider kit - a present, honest):

DSCN2504.JPG

Teenage paperboys/girls.

Our papers are delivered by a pensioner with a trolley or a young bloke in a van.

My 14 year old granddaughter was saying she didn`t get enough pocket money so I suggested she got a paper round.

The utter horror on her face! 'OMG! What if any of my friends saw me? I`d be shamed! How could you suggest that?'

Oh - - - sorry.

Paper route was considered an honorable occupation for a lad in the fifties. Also a good introduction to being up and on time each day before school. Two rounds a day, morning and afternoon papers. The ten bob a week was quite nice too.

• Upvote 3

Too right, LL. There was a waiting list for prospective rounds when I was a kid. When my brother got to first on the list he had to turn up at the newsagent every morning in case anybody didn`t turn up. He only got paid if he had to take a round and he did the 'first reserve' job for many weeks until he got a round of his own.

• Upvote 3

Honorable indeed Loppy................i only got 8/- (shillings).......and them bags were bleddy heavy on a Sunday,.....i remember my first weeks wages went on paying for my 'Dogs licence' 7/6,....Dad said bit short this week son and its your Dog,.......paid gladly loved my Dog Floss'.

• Upvote 4

Poor old Dad paid in the end though...............when Floss died,i buried her down the Garden in a new Suitcase he'd just bought....lol....sorry Dad.

• Upvote 3

Papers you don't see anymore that we delivered in the 50s,

Daily worker,

Daily Herald,

Sunday Pictorial,

Bulwell Dispatch,

Nottm Evening News

Football Post

Football News

Nottm. Guardian,...............and probably many more,

Football paper I think Eileen.

Not local, but I remember Tit Bits and Revaille.

I remember all these being used in my parents chippy. Proper wrapping paper.

#3281. Sellers used to come in the pubs with an armful of these, shouting 'Green 'un, green 'un'.

Divorce column in the Evening Post.............siting reasons for..........it was almost a criminal offence to get Divorced.

Ladies ' remove your hats' signs in the theatre.

Nut brittle.

Gees Linctus.

Everlasting Toffee Strip.

Air raid shelter finger signs.

Peace fingers patch sewn on denims.

A 'layer outer'on the street.

Kids getting endless laughter with trick dog poo.