Things you don't see anymore

Properly looked after roadside verges and green areas.

Close to where I live in Redhill, the local bus stop had two well kept wooden bench seat for waiting passengers. Adjacent the bus stop were two lovely tended grassed areas with shrubbery and trees at either end. These areas collected butterflies, bees and birds etc. and the grass was mown on a regular basis by the county council. Both areas were surrounded by smart, white painted railings. There was also a fully enclosed bus shelter, not open on one side with the rain blowing in.

The slightly moribund scene now still has grass but often looks like a hayfield whilst waiting tending. No adequate seats, no trees or shrubs.

Sure, there is some technology at the bus stop that tells you when the next bus is coming (when it works) but years ago we didn't need it because you knew there would be a bus within twelve minutes - day or evening - unlike now when you can find yourself waiting an hour for the next one during an evening - if you don't do your homework.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Weaned on em Compo. Every day during school term until I was about 13. Still had a 28inch waist till I was about 30.

That was 40yrs ago though.

• Upvote 1

3294. Looks like our first washing machine Michael. It was a Hotpoint but the Hoovers were very similar.

Learned to service the Keymatics during my time at EMEB. They were actually quite a nice machine for their day. Controlled by a program switch. Basically a glorified electric clock. No electronics back then.

Biggest problem with them was that the tub bearings would start leaking and ultimately collapse. Then it sounded like a cement mixer and was an expensive fix. Heard a lot of gripes about that. You only had to turn it on and you could quote 'em a price from the sound it would make.

• Upvote 1

Stu (#3291), I'm not exactly sure but I think it was around 1950 - 70 era. I've got a couple of work photos I could put on here if you wish. They've already been on two bus threads but they disappeared. It was my fault as I was getting my Nottstalgia photos together on Photobucket and hadn't realised that I'd take them off Nottstalgia. They were on the 'Rear Blinds On Buses' and Nottingham Trolley Buses' threads.

We couldn't afford a 'frig. I remember me mam sticking the bottles of milk in a bucket of cold water on hot days. I think she went to the shops for food most days as we really couldn't store much.

Neither could we Loppy,......cold slab' in the Pantry sufficed,............never hear ;Pantry' nowadays, or Scullery'........another old word my Dad always used for Kitchen,...........much to Mam's chagrin...........another word seldom used............

I have a pantry/larder/cupboard in my kitchen - I use all three words (not at the same time!) I love it ....... much better than wall cupboards and base units I think. It's also used for a 'cupboard under the stairs' as we live in a bungalow. So my kitchen equipment and some foodstuffs are on three shelves and the floor space is used for the vacuum cleaner etc

In my childhood home we had a scullery which is where Mum used to do the cooking, washing up and laundry. It was two stone steps down from the kitchen, which is where we all ate. Off this kitchen was a pantry but unlike mine, it only contained food. The Hoover and ironing board were kept in the cupboard under the stairs along with various other stuff, including a gas mask which used to scare me. It looked like an elephant's head with a trunk but no ears

• Upvote 4

In our traditional Semi when we bought it there was a garage on the side, with a door leading in to what was a greenhouse type building. This we converted into a Galley Kitchen and the old coal house part is now my walk in pantry. Sounds posh I know, but it int. The central heating boiler is in there now, which spoils it a bit as it does give of a bit of warmth. Still call it a Pantry and sometimes call the kitchen the Scullery.

I have shelves in the cupboard under the stairs as well. The Glory Hole! where I keep extra supplies and food not used on a daily basis. Also my vac, Iron etc, plus all types of bits and bobs! If we can't find anything, you can guarantee it will be under the stairs. Somewhere!

Our mam used to keep milk in a bucket of cold water as well before we had a fridge.and my grandma used to keep hers in a hole in the wall outside, which had a mesh door. The wall was in front of a raised garden so it was cool as it was in a way underground. It always fascinated me and would love to see if it is still there? I last saw it in about 1980s, still being used.

• Upvote 2

My mother always referred to the back kitchen as the scullery. House was a two up two down in Netherfield. The scullery had a big old tub in one corner that you could light a fire under on washdays. You had to beat the clothes up with a "ponch". Never heard that word since. There was also a pantry, but I don't remember her keeping anything much in it except the mangle, that came out on washdays.

I guess we were poor but never thought of ourselves that way. At least, I didn't, but I guess kids never worried about such things.

• Upvote 3

I miss a pantry and an airing cupboard. They dont exist here. My kitchen is the hub of everything. We have the pellet stove for CH and water. All my food is either in cupboards high and low or in the fridge. Preserves , wines, fruit and veg are in a cantina which originally was a courtyard with a high wall at theback so now everything is underground so it keeps cool. Unconventional I know but the house was built 1868 at least the back part was , no idea when the front part was built. My kitchen is called kitchen or cucina

• Upvote 2

And talking of the old pantry, what about the old 'meat safe'......size of a small tea chest, wooden construction, on short legs and open wire mesh on all sides with door on one side.

Usually on the floor at the back of the pantry and used to keep perishables in prior to the advent of refrigerators - kept them cool and dry.

• Upvote 1

We had an old meat safe up to 20 years ago, kept in one of our barns, until we found a tiny little chicken in our garden one morning. It had wandered in after it had escaped from a small-holding just up the road from us. They said we could keep it so we let it sleep in the meat safe at night. My mum's little Yorkie at first thought he could have it, so we had to keep a close watch on them when it was in the garden. We thought it might be female and looked forward to a few eggs in the future, but one morning a while later it made a tentative crowing sound! HE grew bigger and bigger (Paul had to build a bigger cage as the meat safe was now too small) and the tables were turned with the Yorkie, who was now scared to go out in the garden. I can still remember the dog peeping round the door to see where our fierce cockerel was before he would dare go out for a quick wee. Eventually the cockerel had to go as he was scratching all the flower beds up and some of the grass as well. His name was Kentucky and he lived for several years in a farmer's backyard - I know, because mum used to take scraps round for him quite often.

• Upvote 5

I remember the meat safe we had when we lived in Bilborough. My mum did not get a fridge until about 1969. She said "we get our food to eat not to keep!". In the pantry there was a large concrete shelf that was for keeping food cool. In the pantry wall was an air brick. One summer the ants came in and a lovely dish of oranges in orange jelly was completely black with ants! Horrible. I do not like ants.

• Upvote 5