Things you don't see anymore

Benjamin 1945 #3307

Your comment "On a Monday" caused a flashback to the time when I was a nipper in the late 50's early 60's.

We did not need a calendar at our house as you knew what day it was by what we had for tea, essentially the same menu with minor variations due to seasonable availability. We were very lucky as my granddad had an allotment and grew all sorts of vegetables, he also kept chooks and pigs.

Monday - Cold meat (left over from Sunday) with chips and beans.

Tuesday - A stew or casserole with vegies

Wednesday - Liver, Onion and Bacon, mashed potatoes and vegies

Thursday - Steak or chops with potato and vegetables

Friday - Fish, Chips and peas (mushy or fresh)

Saturday - Fry up - Bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and the best bit, fried bread with lashings of HP sauce.

Sunday - Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, potatoes and vegetables, very occasionally Lamb or Pork.

No real memories of puddings as I do not like sweet foods but did enjoy apple pie made with Bramley apples and a piece of really sharp Cheddar cheese.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I really must start to learn english again. Words that havent been used in english for years , I've forgotten. I know it happens in old age to forget things that happened or was said 5 minutes ago but this is ridiculus.

Should be called things you dont say anymore!

We still have things in the house that you don't see any more. Wooden door latches. Huge padlock with front door key that you could club a burglar with. Pantry with brick thralls. Meat hooks on the dining room beams. Herringbone wood block floor in front room. Quarry tiles on tar and sand in dining room and pantry (not the slightest hint of damp). A pair of wooden pincers (were mam's) hanging behind the laundry door, Stone door weights, scythe stones, bits of clay pipes and hobbing irons littered about outside. A well with pump. Open cast iron fire places in bedrooms and sitting room. We did have a fireplace traverse and stewpot but they are now in our outside kitchen in France. We are surrounded with domestic history.

• Upvote 3

You could be living in my house.we also have a well big old carved front door, hooks from ceiling that we didnt remove when renovating.brick vaultered ceilings everywhere even in bathroom,walls 60cm thick.Warm in winter , cool in summer.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention the soft water tank that is under the driveway, just outside the kitchen window. This is a solid stone chamber 3' x 6' x 5' high with brick vaulted roof. This was used to collect rainwater for washing because the well water was so hard.

Religious symbols used on old farmhouses this one to represent work in plenty

image_zpsxhvvczs7.jpeg

This one is the hand of the previous owner when he was 12

image_zpsol19akp0.jpeg

• Upvote 4

#3321: We had a worktop water softener for a while in the early 60s. If I recall correctly, it was connected to the tap by a pipe and the water was softened by filtering through a salt pile within the stainless steel case.

No redbowen,........me Grandma used to sing that........while sat in a tin Bath playing the Accordian............lol.

3325. We've still got a piano in the parlor. Electronic though, not one of those big old uprights that nobody could lift. Got an organ as well. Can't find an Aspidestra though. Do they still make 'em? :-)

• Upvote 1