Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

This is true MapperleyMan. It's all Haribo these days. I used to love going to my local shop and using the little white paper bags to put cola bottles, flying saucers, Penny chews and many more. It was the novelty of it.

#3386 Women wearing headscarves reminded me of these: Women wearing gas masks and women wearing "pacamac" style headgear. note the woman on the right of the second picture is wearing a headscarf tied beneath the chin:

2642691.jpg

3137486.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dodgems at Southend Kursaal, early 1960s [image by fotolibra]:

693551-dodgem-cars-southend-kursaal-1960

• Upvote 1

You'd have a bit of a 'thin' time shopping for:

Oxydol, Reckitt's Blue Bags, Fry's Five Boys, sweet tobacco, the Reveille (weekly newspaper, Flit spray, Virol malt extract, frozen Jubbly, Lux flakes, Spangles, Echo margarine, and a John Bull printing outfit.

• Upvote 1

Holes Newark Ales........ The worst I've ever tasted, but it was a regular Saturday lunchtime sessioin In the Goldsmith Tavern,so it got better as time wore on.

The best thing to do was have a half in a pint pot, then add a Light Ale. That was ok.

IT was cheap, and as a lot of my mates were students, they didn't mind. Even if it did make them end up regularly fighting in Shakespeare St.

Holes Newark Ales........ The worst I've ever tasted,

Ah, but Holes did great strawberryade! The best ever, and very volatile stuff - if you didn't unscrew the top slowly it would come out in a fountain.

Holes also did lemon-coloured lemonade - that's not something you see any more.

Here's summat you no longer see - BLICK printing gear. As you can see from the photo it cost me 2/3d when I bought it, which must have been

pre-1970:

Blick.jpg

There used to be a similar product called Tetrasil I believe. We used it at Plessey regularly.

Just Googled it. It's a supposed cure for Aids FFS. Maybe we didn't use it at Plessey.

Brilliant nonnaB ! That's it. It's a bit early for me to be trying in vain to get the old grey matter working. Thanks.

That's put my mind at rest.

• Upvote 1