Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Beech nut was 1d per packet from the machines in Nottingham during the 1950s & early 60s.

Wasn't that the one that gave you an extra packet when the arrow on the knob pointed forwards?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Compo, #3429 I've never heard of Pripsen but it did remind me of this.

At a church one Sunday, the hell fire and damnation vicar was preaching about the evils of the demon drink and by way of an example showed the congregation two glasses, one containing water and the other containing whisky. He said "Here I have two humble earthworms by which I will demonstrate the harm that the demon drink can do to you" He then put one earthworm into the water and it kept on wriggling. He put the other in the whisky and it shriveled up and died. Whereupon he proclaimed "Well brethren what does this demonstration prove" After a short silence a drunk at the back of the congregation who had stumbled into the church by mistake said

"If you've got worms drink whisky"

• Upvote 5

There's a new thing now where they think worms and some other minor parasites are actually good for the gut, and help with our immunity. One reason why childhood asthma and severe allergies are non existent in 3rd world countries.

Mind I always remember my brother getting worms and mum telling me to check out my poo in case I had them too, before she dosed the pair of us with some revolting brew, maybe the pripsen but can't remember now, I still do the occasional quick look and check, if you know what I mean, you never know where the buggers might attack. 3- -D ;-))...

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mind I always remember my brother getting worms and mum telling me to check out my poo in case I had them too, before she dosed the pair of us with some revolting brew, maybe the pripsen but can't remember now, I still do the occasional quick look and check, if you know what I mean, you never know where the buggers might attack. 3- -D ;-))...

Not as revolting as this though ! hellothere

6040303125_3f03746f10.jpg

Empire Butter,.........from New Zealand and Fernleaf...........1/6 half lb............also Barrell Butter known as 'Tub Butter'.....from Denmark 3/- per lb. (circa 1960) it was delivered to Marsdens/Farrands in 112lb (cwt) wooden barrells............thats how i got me hernia..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Shops selling hot faggots and gravy.,men wearing a trilby(my Dad always wore one) ,those footrest things they had in shoe shops,where you placed your foot to try on a shoe.,potatoes in hessian sacks in grocers shops,and some things like quavers that I saw demonstrated being cooked at an ideal homes exhibition in the old ice stadium,They looked like a box of cornflakes but when you chucked them in a chip pan they fluffed up (like quavers)I thought it was magic!but I was just a kid.Dad bought me some anyway.

• Upvote 1

I used to love hot faggots, not those frozen brains things but the real stuff !

caftan,i dare not put a reply to this statement.............i'll just leave it to one of our stateside friends................lol.

• Upvote 2

#3446 Stephen, I do believe you can get Faggots and Chips in some Chippies especially around West Mids, we have enjoyed them at a chippie in Bilston called Majors (Very well known in the area) and W-ton Though I haven't partaken in the delicacy for a while.

Ian #3440: There are several pictures on Google images of the Bass TK Bedford. Which one do you mean?

A roof full of aerials like this one seen in Perth (Scotland) on Saturday:

DSCN2869.JPG

Hi Compo,the small sized TK Bedford,the 33ft trailer carried aluminum kegs- but at the top end was a kind of compressor or machine.

They were brown livery...were they navy blue at one time?

Cheers,Ian.

Looking at those chimney pots reminds me that I bet there aren't many chimney fires any more? It was such excitement seeing the fire engine come to those, as a kid.

• Upvote 2

Ian #3454: Can't find a picture of one with a compressor. Could it perhaps have been a chiller unit?