Things you don't see anymore

#3453 You have reminded me about aerials. When we had our first TV my mum would not have an outdoor aerial. Ours was the indoor type and it was in the loft. I think she was scared of getting struck by lightening. The aerial worked OK from 1955 until she left the house in 1982. I guess it would be no good for Freeview these days!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Is that a Cresta, Compo? She's beautiful. Two tone; white wall tyres; the lot. Stick on portholes borrowed from Buick 88.? Hand operated search-light to illuminate road signs when out in the dark. Eye lids on the lights and would you believe it; fluffy dice.

Cresta PA Beduth, production ran from 1957 to 1962. Worra beauty innit?!

• Upvote 1

Before anyone asks, I will prove (yet again) my nerd-worthiness! The coach is a Bedford SB3, with Duple 41 seat coach bodywork. It was supplied in 1959 to Mainwaring of Gilfachgoch, and appears to be crossing the English Bridge in Shrewsbury.

• Upvote 3

Thanks, Stephen, yes I think it would have been the English Bridge. I doubt it was still operated by Mainwaring at that time though. I would once have had a record of the details, but all I've got now are the photos. However, as I've only ever visited Shrewsbury for football matches that would date the photo to November 1974.

Before anyone asks, I will prove (yet again) my nerd-worthiness! The coach is a Bedford SB3, with Duple 41 seat coach bodywork. It was supplied in 1959 to Mainwaring of Gilfachgoch, and appears to be crossing the English Bridge in Shrewsbury.

What is the driver's name? hellothere hellothere

• Upvote 2

Compo #3460

What a great photo of someone's pride and joy. A lot of work gone into that one by some enthusiast.

I seem to remember that on some models of Crestas the speedometer showed green up to 30 mph, changing to orange between 30 and 70 mph and then to red above 70. It looked like it was some form of rotating cylinder thingy.

• Upvote 1

He can't do it nowadays Michael, the Hobgoblin affects his coordination!

• Upvote 2

I used to play 'Cat's Cradle' and also made 'French Lace' using the same amount of wool. Reckon I could still do it now....

• Upvote 1

Do you remember that thing made on a wooden cotton bobbin with four panel pins knocked in the top. Wool was then somehow threaded through it. Was it called French Knitting?

1958 Vauxhall Cresta drove past me today in Sutton...absolutely immaculate,green. Mine was pink and grey and rotted to bits in the sixties.My God Vauxhall bodywork was crap in those days.

• Upvote 1

Puffin Pilchards Ian,............reminds me they came in an unusual sized can called a 'Jitney' size...........not alot of people know that..............lol.