Things you don't see anymore

Had a flash of memory last night..... Lyons Maid ice cream cylinders in cylindrical cones bought from the usherette at the cinema.

Timothy Whites shops. How many of us still have Ronco and KTel rubbish bought from here, stashed away in a cupboard somewhere?

Milk monitors, pencil monitors and ink well monitors.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Talking about ink wells.Do you remember the wooden pen stems that were issued at school, along with the separate nib that fitted into the end? I remember our being told by the teacher to suck the new nib to remove the wax coating and so allow the ink to flow.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes! I`ve still got a little box of nibs but no little stems! I used to chew the end of the stick until it was soggy and frayed and looked more like a brush. Needless to say, nobody ever nicked my pen.

I'll tell yer what. Yer don't see them green pennants fluttering on bike handlebars anymore; earned on the successful completion of the cycling proficiency test. I wonder if that's why a some of 'em have come a cropper in the Olympics?

#3601. I think you are referring to the ladies of Bourne's textile factory, Ben.

When I started work at Ericssons upon leaving school at fifteen I received similar dire warnings. Lol. I really watched my back for a while. It was all talk. I think! :-)

Ladies with a fox fur over their shoulder and a gauze veil over their face.

And they smelt of mothballs. Uhh, I can smell it now. Thank technology for synthetics.

• Upvote 1

I miss the "brick" ice cream the ice cream van sold before Mr whippy came about. It was rapped in paper and you had it between two waffers or in a square cone

Hi Nippergrant, Good memory. Wasn't it Pierce's ice cream that came wrapped as a brick? My preference at the time, you could chase the melt round and round.

• Upvote 1

Blimey Beduth,,forgot all about 'Pearces ice cream'...........they were the 1st I recall,always outside the school gates on Gainsford crescent in the 50s,along with 'Mando's' the old Italian chap from Basford...............

Beduth, we had an old fox fur which we used as a draught excluder when our children were little!

Hi Nippergrant, Good memory. Wasn't it Pierce's ice cream that came wrapped as a brick? My preference at the time, you could chase the melt round and round.

Hi Beduth, i think it was walls ice cream. I contained butter and was a Slight yellowy colour. Best ice cream ever

Conventional shoe shops.

I used to love going for new summer shoes when I was a child because my mother took me into a shop and asked to try on sandals. The assistant would scramble up wooden ladders to a sheer wall of boxes and unwrap a selection of shoes in foamy white tissue paper. It was so exciting waiting to see what was in each box whilst sitting on those typical tubular steel chairs with the footrest.

Now everything is set out in rows, all looking the same. No excitement at all!

Winter shoes always came from Clay's and were the sensible, clodhopper type insisted on by my father.

I won't tell you how many pairs of shoes in boxes there are in my abode. I'll never wear any of them! Just like to look at them occasionally!

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, our children were a bit scared of the fox fur as the mouth could open, originally to clip on the tail.

• Upvote 1

Jill Sparrow #3624 ; Clearly you are in need of your very own wooden ladder Jill. I can just imagine all your boxes stack high up against the landing wall.

• Upvote 1

Bright shiny bubbles of gas tar seeping up through street cobbles on summer days. It made substitute practice marbles.

I know my short trousers would get very mucky and once I recall my 'black' marbles sticking my pockets together, much to mother's displeasure.

Do you remember the rules for marbles?

Spans was one; if you were quick enough to shout it ! That allowed you to pick up your marble; put your little finger where your marble had been and reach out further to thumb your marble from a closer range.

• Upvote 1

Scratching names, with others, on Mrs Fletcher's brick gable wall in Chard Street. Went back 40 years later; couldn't a word; couldn't see Mrs Fletcher either.