Things you don't see anymore

Yes but the plug is (was) a standard fitting and could be fitted to polarity sensitive devices too.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The polarity was in fact very important on even basic accessory items. Whilst most would work with reversed wiring, the problem was the 'body' of the accessory could be live if wrongly connected. A common plug in accessory (other than the parking light) was a kettle. Image if the body of the kettle was 'live' and touched the metalwork of the car.

I think the early plugs were made by Raydyot

Later vehicles had the Bosch type concentric jack plug.

• Upvote 1

What about fuses that you actually had fuse wire for? I remember them in our house in Long Eaton - if a fuse blew (I think there were only two of them), you had to find the wire and connect it between two screws on the fuse!

So, can you still buy fuse wire?

Don't know if you can still buy fuse wire but I remember in some of those old houses they had a fuse in the neutral as well.

If the neutral blew the light wouldn't work but the hot was still hot. Unpleasant surprise pending if you happened to grab it while on a wet floor.

I have three fuse boxes that use fuse wire in re-wireable cartridges. They are all pre-decimalization and all work perfectly well in my outbuildings. Fuse wire is still available from some emporium type stores and agricultural suppiers.

Fuse box with Pifco fuse wire hanging on the bottom left of the box. The box is open in this picture.

IMG_2704.JPG?gl=GB

WELL IF YOU MUST LIVE IN THE BACK OF BEYOND ASH WHAT DO YOU EXSPECY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BOTH ANYWAY

Alas Ashley, I threw out my old cast iron one a few weeks ago in a garage clear-out, will this do? It's a GEC fuse box with ceramic fuses:

IMG_2707.JPG?gl=GB

Half past 11pm every ruddy New Years Eve, the announcer on the black and white telly saying..."And now over to our Scottish studio" where we were accosted by Jimmy Shand and Moira stewart sitting on stools belting out their flippin' awful Scottish stuff.... while a load of blokes in frocks pranced about in the background....Then "BOING! BOING! from Big Ben....and that's yer lot.