Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Eey Lizzie, We do see life. You know what they say "Variety is the spice of life" Certainly plenty about last Wednesday Miduck.

No seriously, apart from the altercation in the pub car park; all was quiet.:rolleyes:

On 18/08/2016 at 10:05 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Perhaps, now, we can have gallons back again, along with pounds, ounces, feet, inches, rods, perches, firkins, gills, pecks and tuppenyworths!

Let's be different...and eccentric!

Not easy work out with a calculator though :)

Talking of the fight reminds me of an item in the Sheriff's court page of the local paper the other week. Here in Wick life is roughly fifty years behind the big cities. During the court session a case was being heard of a woman who was knocked down whilst getting into her car. Her car was illegally parked on the High Street at the time and a van driver caught her as he squeezed past. The Sheriff asked the policeman in court to take a walk outside and count the number of cars that were parked illegally at that moment. It seems the road was full of cars parked on the yellow lines, there being no traffic wardens in Caithness. The Sheriff concluded that if the woman would park illegally, causing larger vehicles to struggle to get past, then she could expect to be knocked down if she insisted on opening her car door as they did so.  I can't see that happening in Nottingham these days :)

• Upvote 3

Decent interest rates for savers. The Bank of England has promised to make pensioners pay for the forthcoming price rises by holding interest rates down.  Thus pensioners who have no other means of offsetting the price rises will suffer the most.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Compo said:

The Sheriff concluded that if the woman would park illegally, causing larger vehicles to struggle to get past, then she could expect to be knocked down if she insisted on opening her car door as they did so.  I can't see that happening in Nottingham these days :)

I wish it did Compo !

That Sheriff is the kind of common sense judge I like to read about. I wish there were more like him.

• Upvote 1

3766.  Compo.   Isn't that just typical?  You sweat all your life, live within your means. Pay your bills.  If you've got a bit left over you save it rather than just spending it on junk.  You get rewarded by the bank, which uses that money, by robbing you of what little interest you would have got.  I have no time for the banks.  Over here the taxpayers bailed them out when they got in a mess through their greed and this is how they repay!

• Upvote 2

Compo Re #3755 - I had forgotten the 1980s blue square sealed packets of salt - a poor imitation of the original!

The machinery for dispensing the original blue twists of salt was none to accurate - it was often possible to get three or four in one packet, which to my eight year old former self seemed a real bonus. I was easily pleased.

• Upvote 2

Playground / Park keeper / warden in full uniform. Got thrown out a couple of times for rocking the Witches Hat

Despite all the HSE regs. My brother, who has cleaned Windows for 40+ years, mainly on Alfreton Road and around Hyson Green/ Radford area (and used to clean the ice rink Windows before it was remodelled!) used ladders, chamois and squegies plus fairy liquid (only the best in his bucket) he has only properly retired this year ! 

• Upvote 1

NCT had one of those in '74 when I joined & was used to ferry trainee drivers from PSD to Bulwell Depot to pick up the driving school buses parked there.

So, the background picture could well be PSD.