Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

After looking at some old pics, I think you're right Brew. 

I remember a larger, and more sophisticated version too though. Must have been in the late 50's I reckon.

My relatives in Garden Street had an old black Hillman Minx when I was tiny. It lived in the garage at the side of the house. Uncle George kept it polished and serviced it himself. It had those retractable indicators and they fascinated me.

He and Emily travelled all over in it and sometimes they would take my mother, sister and I to Mablethorpe for the day in the school holidays. Dad would be at work, so he never came with us. I don't think they enjoyed taking me anywhere because I was always sick. Can still suffer from motion sickness even now.

The interior of the car smelled strongly of the leather upholstery and I don't think that helped!  :wacko:

I've put this photo on this site before in the past, but re #3894, here I am in mine:

Malcolmincar_zpsc412eaed.jpg

It was originally green, but my dad later painted it red. Mine still had the hub caps. Opening boot and bonnet (to reveal dummy engine), working headlights and horn. My dad also fixed an old AA badge to the bumper and painted the number plates.

Photo dates to either 1952 or 1953.

• Upvote 5

I have trafficators on a car that I use in good weather. Very few other road users seem see them these days and this has led to one or two dangerous situations. Same with hand signals,  if they see the hand signals then not many know what the driver is telling them. I fitted motorbike flashers at the end of the bumpers on my car to help the modern motorist understand when I intend to go either right or left.

• Upvote 1

When I did my MT training as part of my electrical fitters course in the RAF the cars used were Standard Vanguards, with trafficators :) 

32979711521_a9d4a27a04_m.jpg  32979673861_54f5c5d2b4_m.jpg 32261369644_6ff8b5ee81_m.jpg

Three British Railways images you don't see any more (Except at Heritage Railways and in the case of the arrows, occasional signs still extant):

1: Lion over wheel

32783834660_03f58fa45d_b.jpg

2: Lion Rampant

33010058142_3a9452a481_b.jpg

3: Arrows of indecision

33125001036_08713ea04b_b.jpg

I can remember my Dad having cars with running boards on ,I used to play at standing on them when he was starting the car,then jumping off when it moved.

Not very health and safety.

• Upvote 2

Good fun though, till you slip off, and he runs over your foot !

1. Lion over wheel symbol was nicknamed 'the cycling lion'

2. The Lion Rampant symbol was nicknamed 'the ferret and dartboard'

3. Long after the days of British Rail the double arrow symbol is still in current use as a sign to indicate the presence of a railway station, it also appears on all standard tickets and on the National Rail Enquiries website:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

• Upvote 1

Funny, but I still remember the feel of those plastic Kia-Ora pots even after fifty years (2nd photo):

32541644223_88e5f638b5_b.jpg

32541647603_6658bbf6cc_b.jpg

Anyone remember the "Sucker" called Orange Maid?  You would suck all the flavour out of the sucker, leaving the ice to be enjoyed at the end :)  Oh, and the wooden scoops you got with your tub of ice cream at the pictures.

• Upvote 2

Nottingham Football Post couldn't believe how quick after the match it was on sale on the streets,

I used to read it after I'd been to an away game in case the Father-in-law asked me how they'd played?

Just been informed by Notts Police football intelligence 'ossisfer not to travel to Burton tomorrow without a ticket? :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Nottingham Football Post couldn't believe how quick after the match it was on sale on the streets,

Used to be about a quarter past five as I remember.  Not bad going to be reading an account of the match you'd just seen half an hour after it finished.  And of course, it was anxiously awaited as a means of finding out the results of other matches - up to date league tables too - unless you were one of the few who took a portable transistor radio about with you.

Those days are gone - and next could be the traditional printed football programme, especially at lower levels of the game, with things moving towards on-line or digital versions so that people would download them to their tablets (or whatever they're called) or fancy mobile phones and read them that way instead.

The times we live in!

In the years before that - pre-war and earlier - there were probably more than two. People used to read newspapers in the pre-TV age, and even more so pre-radio.  I can remember when both the Evening Post and the Evening News were on sale in Nottingham, plus the Guardian Journal in the mornings.

A lot of people, me included, have stopped having newspapers because of the inane drivel that most of them print. I am not interested in which so called celebrity has done what to another waste of time or which socialite has cracked a fingernail. If they can't print worthy news then don't bother.

• Upvote 2

Agree totally, woody. I don't know who any of these folk are and don't want to know. Getting rid of the tv was a brilliant move. The world today is full of attention seekers. The wannabe famous, those devoid of any talent whatsoever. Too much drivel! To paraphrase Marshall McLuhan/Timothy Leary, or whatever his name was, I've turned off, tuned out and dropped out. Long may it continue!

• Upvote 1

Sat in a Wetherspoon pub in Paignton Devon the other week & nearly choked on my pint. A "Team Member" actually cleaned a table that had been vacated half an hour earlier !

Wonders never cease. Just like the old days.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, woody said:

Often smile to myself at announcements in my local diy when the customer desk puts out a "colleague request". If they are colleagues why can't they use the name of the person needed?

Perhaps they don't need a particular person?