Things you don't see anymore

A big thank you to our 'Hogmanay reporter' "Poohbear" for that touching piece of honest to goodness reporting .

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

It's gotta be the Jools Holland Hootenany, he has guests (mostly icons of their genre) that I thought had given up performing years ago, Jimmy Cliff. Toots & the Maytals etc....................................mixed with some great new acts,

Anything for me , just so long as I'm with the wife and kids , setting off some left over rockets from bonfire night, and drinking a glass of champagne.

Caithness stone flags still used throughout the country, usually in the more upmarket schemes. WHAT HE BLOOD AND STOMACH PILLS! how on earth did this get here....it was aimed at "Things you don't see anymore" :o((

Happy New Year anyway.

Oh, it is "Things you don't see anymore" thought I blundered into a New Year thread - Oops! Methinks you've had enough to drink for one night my lad.

Half past 11pm every ruddy New Years Eve, the announcer on the black and white telly saying..."And now over to our Scottish studio" where we were accosted by Jimmy Shand and Moira stewart sitting on stools belting out their flippin' awful Scottish stuff.... while a load of blokes in frocks pranced about in the background....Then "BOING! BOING! from Big Ben....and that's yer lot.

Don't forget Andy Stewart. And they're NOT frocks - they're SKIRTS <g>

Perhaps just local lads/girls having a bit of fun....................some get bored easily you know...................bless their hearts

New Basford Station on the former Great Central/later LNER route

newbasfordstation.jpg

You can see one (The Down line) of the 2 girder spans over Haydn Rd, these were one either side of the bricked up entrance in the following photo , this had an arch top with a gas light above so the wall was originally alot higher, A staggered flight of stairs led from the arch up to the high windowed opening in the first picture The "red" on the wall is mud stains thrown up from cars! I suspect there had been a recent thunder storm as the road here regularly flooded because it had been "dug out" at some time to provide more headroom, there was a pronouned dip as you went along the road.

haydrd.jpg

I recall walking under the bridge as a very young boy to visit my uncle who lived at the end of Hayden Road. On a few occasions we caught a train into town instead of walking....as a treat.

Song thrushes bashing the crap out of snails on the garden path.

They still do it here in the north of Scotland. Each bird has a regular anvil stone upon which to bash its snails.

Can you remember the Robot quiz board where a robot statue pointed to the right answer?

Here's the junior version of the 'magic robot'

IMG_2729.JPG?gl=GB

Poohbear:

Hedgerows have always been rare up here. In 1820 a local laird planted many miles of hedges but over the decades farmers have let them go to ruin and be eaten by sheep and cattle. There are few left now but I have two acres of ground that I have planted on a 'park' type theme so there are loads of micro-climates and mini-ecosystems here.

Wow! Trolleys. The cyclists in pic No.2 are on the right hand side of the road - is that taken in france?

I have some wire brushes; they are still available and still relatively cheap too. What about Ronco Brush-O-Matic or whatever they were called. Magically remove pet hairs from clothes and furniture; available from boots, Timothy Whites and all good stores.