Things you don't see anymore

Is there any wonder so many of us died so young?! You certainly don't see this anymore! :)

33959174862_8578c6562d_c.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I used the 'reverse charge call' many times in the 60s. Hubbys dad had a business, therefore a phone. All I had was the phone box on Margaret Crescent and quite often I ran out of money during the week. We used to take it in turns to phone each other at a certain time, when it was my turn if I had no money we would reverse the charges or hubbs would phone the phone box. I bet his parents loved me when the bill came in! lol. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

Does anyone still 'call collect' anymore, in this age of toll-free numbers and everyone having a cell phone?

And while we're abaht it, MOBILE PHONE not cell phone if you please !

• Upvote 1

My husband always calls his mobile phone a cell phone and that's because he's spent a lot of time in the States and Caribbean.  He also says 'line' instead of queue and 'elevator' instead of lift.  I find that I use the Americanisms without thinking too! 

• Upvote 2

4017.  First time we came back to the UK after nearly four years in Canada we got into Heathrow.  Trying to get our luggage a guy in a turban said, "form a queue.  Wife said, "we're home."

re. Nibbits. I used to love 'em.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, crankypig said:

Nibbits can anyone remember them? The texture was a little bit like quavers,but harder and. In thin ribbon like strips,lovely.

Invented by  a Nottingham lass....Bertha Power and made by Jim Crookshanks 'Crooky Crisps'

12 hours ago, catfan said:

Chips will be fries next !

And burgers will become "Patties"

Rog

Blackamoors Sweet Stout was brewed by the Kimberley Brewery, owned by Hardy Hansons.

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, crankypig said:

Nibbits can anyone remember them? The texture was a little bit like quavers,but harder and. In thin ribbon like strips,lovely.

I didn't remember them, but they look like those things which live at great depths at the bottom of the ocean.

nibbits_zpsdqpclhix.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kids and youngsters  with good table manners ! I eat out either at a restaurant, cafe or a garden centre at least two or three times a week, and have been appalled at the lack of ability even to hold a fork correctly. I see young people pick sandwiches apart and only eat part of the filling. I've seen kids totally bemused by a knife. They only seem to use a fork as a dagger and pull things apart with their fingers. 

I assume it stems from having a lifestyle that totally revolves around McDomalds, KFC, Greggs, kebabs, pizzas, trays of cheesy chips and other assorted dire offerings. 

We will soon have a whole generation that is totally devoid of how to use cutlery, and just eat out of a polystyrene tray, a family bucket, or just a paper bag.

Also, I'm afraid, some of the young waiting staff don't know how to lay a place setting. The knives should have the blade facing inwards towards the plate..

• Upvote 1

Don't think Americans know how to use a knife,whenever you see them eating it is with a fork only,why don't someone invent a fork with one edge sharpened so the food will be easier for them to cut,I'm sure you still use knives though Katy and Loppy and all the other folk who have left these shores in order to educate our cousins over the "pond"

Rog

• Upvote 1

Quite right, Rog.  I grew up using a knife and fork for meals in Nottingham and it is a habit I can't break and don't want to.  I find it much easier to push food onto a fork with a knife than fiddling around with just a fork.  I have been joked about (in a friendly way) because of this but. I don't care.  Too ode to change nah.  ;)

• Upvote 2

Folks here think we eat fast, because we are always the first to finish our meal. We tell them it's just that we eat efficiently. i.e, we don't keep swapping tbe cutlery around like they do. They cut their food with fork on left, knife on right, then lay down the knife, swap tbe fork into right hand and stab the food, put in mouth. Swap fork back to left hand, pick up knife and cut the next piece. Repeat as before. What a palaver,  but most likely how they were taught by parents. I remember when my kids started school, I was told to make sure of 3 things, they could take themselves to the toilet, tie their own shoelaces and eat with a knife and fork. Excellent advice.

• Upvote 5

I still use knife and fork the way I was taught, in saying that I do sometimes see Americans using the fork left handed.