Things you don't see anymore

My mother used to do my Gran's hair in the living room .  The ammonia smelt terrible - I'm sure it didn't do your hair any good!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Did anyone used to have orange juice delivered by the milkman?

33838922123_6b16e5e4c8_c.jpg

We didn't have it delivered by the milkman but an early memory is of orange juice in what looked like medicine bottles with a cork stopper, alongside bottles of cod liver oil. They were kept on the bottom shelf of the pantry and my mum purchased them from the baby clinic on Gregory Boulevard, next to the library. Long gone now but I can still recall the taste of that orange juice. We had some tins of National Dried Baby Milk too...and Farley's Rusks!

• Upvote 1

National Health issue orange juice Jill.  It was very concentrated and one of the things that the Labour government introduced to help improve the health of the population's children.

• Upvote 1

Concentrated was the word for it, Compo! That's why I still remember the taste. Didn't like it. Sickly aftertaste, not like orange juice at all. Had the cod liver oil when being bathed as mum said the stain was impossible to remove if drizzled on clothes. Didn't like that either!

• Upvote 1

That's them, Compo!  My great auntie Emily of Garden Street used to ask my mum to buy extra bottles of orange juice for her, because she liked it! :wacko:

I seem to remember seeing those third of a pint bottles of orange juice in the crates delivered to Berridge school, along with the milk.

• Upvote 1

And......Malt and codliver oil, made the codliver oil more palatable...

Yes, Malt and Cod Liver Oil ......... I have very clear memories of my brother and I standing like little birds with mouths wide open waiting for the big spoonful to be 'administered' from a very large brown glass jar.  Didn't mind the taste though. 

• Upvote 2

On the Norwegian Hurtigruten ferries they have a "Crossing the Arctic Circle" ceremony.  Giong north you get a bucket of ice put down your neck and going south you have to drinkk a large spoonful of cod liver oil.  I pretended to spit mine out into a paper bag and they made me take another spoonful as a punishment :D

• Upvote 1

The Malt, and the Cod Liver Oil, wasn't too bad, but there was a white liquid in a brown bottle called The Emulsion. 

It obviously wasn't paint, so was it for tummy upsets similar to Milk Of Magnesia, or was it for more serious ailments.

Can anyone throw some light on it ? 

Yes, I was quite partial to Farley's rusks, Loppy, and ate em for breakfast long after my childhood ended! Hmmm, wonder if they're still around? If they are, they'll be smaller, more expensive, fewer in the box and there'll be the usual warnings about nuts at the factory...that's ingredients used to make other products, not the operatives who make the rusks.

Cue Ben...how much was a box of Farley's in the 60s?  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1/- small box 1/9 larger one,cant recall how many were in em, 6 and 12 i would imagine, dont ever remember them in tins loppy 

• Upvote 2

Those tins were probably late 40s.  On the other hand there were some blue tins labeled 'Ostermilk'.  Maybe I'm confused or maybe me mam used the old milk tins to store the rusks.  It would have been dried milk powder not liquid.

Edited to add.  Ostermilk is still around according to Mr. Google they made baby formula. Company called Glaxo.  Farley's now apparently owned by Boots.

• Upvote 1

Might have a mooch round Boots to see if they've got any rusks! Make a change from Kelloggs cornflakes and granola!  ....the first time I typed in granola, my iPad substituted tramadol for some reason. Good thing I noticed! No wonder I'm always tired in the mornings!  :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Rotten IPads are always substituting words.  I find I really have to read each post carefully before I hit send.  Very easy to end up with a ridiculous post because of changed words.  :mellow:

Some of those old houses were pretty damp.  I suspect my mam may have put the Rusks in the old milk tins to keep 'em from going soggy.

When my lad was born 43 years ago my ex wanted the best & bought Gold SMA. He wouldn't touch it so she was advised by her midwife to get the cheapo NHS dried stuff & he lapped it up !