Things you don't see anymore

Thats what the little devils looked like Col, they have not got into the tub containg the plain flour but I did see a few in the gluten free flour bag so was wondering if they came in that as we have only had that for the past couple of weeks,

In reply to yours and PP's answer to the original question,yes it's a pepper mill,drop a few corns in and twist and grind, I think it was a bit of a novelty thing that I was given after a visit to a moble crushing machine manufacturer for the quarrying industry, my little crusher/mill weighs in at just over three pounds and the mobile crushers for the industry come in at over seventy ton

Rog

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I think I read somewhere that the very fine sieves used when making cakes with flour were intended not to 'aerate' the flour but to catch any weevils!

• Like 1

I always use a sieve and as you say Margie to aerate the flour for a lighter bake never thought about trapping the little visitors,wouldn't fancy using flour after they'd been in it

Rog

Just gone off cakes and pastry BIg Time. As far as I know I have never had any of these bugs in my flour?  I decided to google image a flour weevil to see what I might have missed. Oh My Goodness, ugly little b....rs. That's it. NO more floury things for me!

Well. Perhaps.....now and again. Oh go on then; if you insist.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Seeing the Smart Meter topic just reminded me. We haven't had a meter reader visit within the last couple of years, and neither have I had those little cards through the door that you used to fill in, and post it off, of phone the reading through.

Gosh, I probably owe NP hundreds !

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

.How do we know what creepy crawlies we might eat in commercial food?  Just gerrit dahn ya.  :biggrin:

Once upon a time in the early 60s, I treated misen to a punnet of Strawberries and sat at the top of the bus going to town; and ate the lot. I didn't take any notice of the punnet until I had scoffed them all. At this point I looked down at the empty box and  realised it was crawling with tiny little insects. I have never forgotten in 54yrs.  MmmmmYum Yum, an added bit of protein. Served me right for being greedy.:mellow:

• Like 1

Thats the one Brew,very heavy for what it is, must get around to using it one day,thanks for the picture

Rog

I had a wild mushroom stroganoff for tea yesterday. It is almost impossible to pick wild fungus without getting little grubs from flies inside.  These are usually so tiny that all you see are little holes as you cut into the flesh.  It used to bother me but these days I just slice them and bung them in the pot, grubs and all.  They have no flavour to speak of and what the diner doen't see, the chef gets away with :)

Some wild mushrooms yesterday - now inside me:

24091820878_84b56d29aa_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

VM, or Virgin Money to you rr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That looks like a CTC sign,bicycle wheel and spokes with wings Compo, used to hang them outside pubs and cafes to let cyclists know they are cyclist friendly CTC (Cycle touring club)

But I might be wrong

Rog

It is indeed an early CTC sign, possibly from its early days in the late 19th century.

It wasn't just pubs and cafes, though. Many years ago, on a cycling club run in deepest Derbyshire, we found a little house in a small village with a CTC sign outside it. That signified that CTC members could stop there for lunch.

The dear old lady who lived there somehow managed to conjour up a meal of stew, potatoes, and veg, for ten hungry blokes in less than an hour. (Giving us time to have a pint in the local pub) 

• Like 3

Rog & Rob: Oops..... I seriously slipped up there then! However, it is still something that you don't see anymore :)

• Like 1

The CTC is still going strong but I don't think they have the signs anymore, you can still find them on buildings though if you know where to look especially some of the out of town venues cyclist used to get too, great picture and find though Compo

Rog

I noticed another in Thurso yesterday but no camera to hand!  Will get a photo next time I'm in.

• Like 1