Things you don't see anymore

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

12 hours ago, katyjay said:

when we lived in Surrey, we saw Concorde come over twice a day, always ran outside to watch it. 

When I lived in Ilkeston in the 70s, there was a flypast, I think it was for the inauguration of the American adventure park, can't swear to it, but what a sight to behold. And nothing to equal it since. So much for progress!!

Whilst on aircraft, I remember one of the very early flights of a Tristar flying very low over Nottingham (I worked in Gregory Boulevard at the time) on its way to Hucknall Aerodrome where I believe the RB211 engines were (at least in part) developed.

Nowhere near as elegant as Concorde but a very good workhorse plane. I flew on them numerous times, usually London to Nice.

I remember RB211's way before that when I lived in Hucknall and had to put up with the deafening noise of the RR engine test beds.

We could often hear the Rb 211 testing in Basford.  As you said the L1011 used that engine.  Air Canada had several of them and I enjoyed flying on them.  I think it was a good safe plane, but they never really caught on it seems.  Wasn't long before the 757 and 767 replaced them.  I assume the L1011 wasn't fuel efficient enough.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Wasn't long before the 757 and 767 replaced them.  I assume the L1011 wasn't fuel efficient enough.

The Lockheed L1011 TriStar was fuel efficient. It had a successful  life but did not have the long range. I flew in one to LA and we had to refuel in Maine.The Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft had two engines and were certified for ETOPS (Extended Twin engine Operations). So they had the range on two engines instead of three. These operations were subject to very strict rules and regulations to cater for the event of having to shut down an engine and relying on one to get you there.  I could explain but don't want to frighten you to death, but this is how most of the long-distance air travel is now days.

This came about because of the incredible reliability of modern jet engines. As yet no long-distance airliner has lost both engines and finished up in the ocean. The modern high bypass jet engine is remarkable fuel efficient. It won't be too long before you will be able to fly to Australia non-stop.

• Like 1

Our first trip to India was on a TriStar and in those days (24yrs ago) we had to circle the airport as it was / is a military airbase until given permission to land. The pilot said after landing, that we couldn't have circled many more times because of fuel!!. It don't give one a lot of confidence in flying, although we still go every year. Plenty of wobble juice normally help's.

1 hour ago, Chulla said:

The Lockheed L1011 TriStar was fuel efficient. It had a successful  life but did not have the long range.\snip\

RAF Tristars used to fly to the Falklands.  They stopped at Ascension Island to refuel in each direction.

You can explain if you want to Dave, you won't scare me to death.  :biggrin:. I haven't flown in years now anyway.  I often think I may have had my last flight by now.  I know of the reliability of those engines though.  I once sat in the cockpit of a 767 in the middle of the night on the way to England.  I mentioned to the Captain about the possibility of having to shut down an engine mid Atlantic.  He set me straight on that, quick.  Said he had never had to shut down an engine on any of the modern jets in Air Canada's fleet.

Fantastic sight of the Vulcan doing it's thing. I remember it at Hucknall in it's early days. It was plain white in those days, but still a fantastic sight coming in to land. Our house was just off being in line with the runway so we always got a good view albeit a noisy one.

We lived just off Thackeray's Lane in Woodthorpe in the 50's and the white Vulcan regularly flew over us on a left base prior to turning on to final approach into Hucknall. A spectacular sight. We went to see the last flying one in the hangar at Doncaster/ Finningley a few years ago prior to it being grounded. That was the only time I could get close up and actually touch the aircraft. So sorry it flies no more.

Phil.for the princely sum of 50 pence you can go inside the one at Newark air museum and sit in all five seat if you so wish, done it many times, last time was when our friend from Edinburgh came to stay a couple of years ago, I have some pictures of her climbing in and out of it

Rog

Edited because I just found the pictures

DSCF4378.jpg

DSCF4379.jpg

• Like 1

While on an aviation theme but not really related to the original thread,(things you dont see anymore) this is a picture I took a few years ago of the cockpit interior of a 29 squadron Typhoon (Eurofighter) on a visit to RAF Coningsby

2010_0611coningsbyday0004.jpg

Rog

• Like 2