Things you don't see anymore

The lady climbing into the Vulcan reminds of the Battle of Britain shows at Finingley. They used to demonstrate the 4-minture scramble - the time they supposedly had to get into the air before the bomb dropped. From the word GO the crews ran to four of the aircraft. The first one up the ladder hit a button that started up all four engines so that by the time the crew were at their stations and strapped in, the throttles could be opened. The services electrical supply plugged in at the rear of the aircraft just pulled itself free with the forward movement of the aircraft. Within the four minutes you could see four Vulcans trailing black smoke climbing away at the end of the airfield. Lots of lovely noise as well.

Note the recumbent lean-back sitting position of the pilot of the Eurofighter. This helps him withstand high 'G' loads without blacking out. Note also, the striped ejection handle between the pilot's legs, supplementing the overhead one that might not be possible to use because of high G forces preventing the pilot from reaching it. In both events, the seat smashes its way through the canopy.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Plantfit’s ‘photos of the Vulcan reminded me of its final journey when it flew into Winthorpe from Waddington in 1983 to join the museum’s exhibits. It was a very carefully managed excercise which required the wind to be in exactly the right direction as the runway was at the limits of the aircraft’s capability. I think the A46 was closed briefly for the landing. The aircraft deployed its tail chute to ensure it came to a safe halt. A large crowd were there to see the landing.

And it was snowing, when the pilot landed the plane and taxied to the parking area he and his crew climbed out and just gave the keys to the then owner of the museum and left

Rog

I remember the day I flew into Winthorpe airfield. It was In June 1977 when the then gliding cub organised a Jubilee Fly In for the Queen's Jubilee. I got a souvenir gift but can't remember what it was. I was solo in a Grumman AA5. On the runway approach there were pylons and cables, obviously erected post war, and I was initially concerned as to whether I should fly under or over the cables! I wisely decided flying over was safer! I flew in again that afternoon, this time with a friend in a Chipmunk. Once again I got a souvenir. Sadly now the airfield is closed to flying being a full time show ground. During the war a friend of mine, long gone, was sent to fly an aircraft from Kent to Winthorpe but inadvertently landed at the nearby Balderton airfield which is now farmland. He had to fly the short hop to Winthorpe. As punishment he was made to pay his own train fare back to Kent! 

• Like 2

Interesting post Phil,thats what this site is all about,peoples experiences and memories,keeps the old grey cells working, I can remember being given a special invitation to the museum after closing on quite a few occasions in the early to mid eighties,a friend of ours was good friends of the then owner (forget his name at the moment) we were given access to most of the aircraft,that's when I first got to sit in the Vulcan as well as the Shackleton and Hastings, for info the Hastings was and probably still is fitted out inside to simulate the back seats of the Vulcan for training purposes, the inside of the Canberra was a very tight squeeze,on entering the small hatch on the right side of the pilots seat straight in front and above was the pilots seat,through the door and immediately left was the two back seats up a couple of steps,very cramped and with no windows must have been a very claustrophobic experience,

Rog

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I was solo in a Grumman AA5. On the runway approach there were pylons and cables, obviously erected post war, and I was initially concerned as to whether I should fly under or over the cables! I wisely decided flying over was safer!

You must be mad Phil, single engine, pylons, power cables !

Mental.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I bet driving a double decker along Parliament street could be fun at times, Mick.  :biggrin:

Great fun Dave, but at least you stay on the ground !

The secret is to close yer eyes & hope for the best smile2

& put yer foot down !

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Now that is seriously dangerous. Even a thrill seeker like me wouldn't do that!:laugh:

Would you ride on a tram though?

I had forgotten about this glass.  Can't remember where I got it from but it has been in the loft for ages.  It is a straight sided beer mug dating from one of the King George's eras - note the GR on the excise mark:

39617007062_b430a118f8_c.jpg  25775577098_3c0fc084d0_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Don't want it?! You ask that of me...me who habitually collects twentieth century tat for my little museum AND brew my own ale?!  

:rotfl:

It's actually a ten sided tankard Red.  When I rediscovered it I immediately washed it and got out a few bottles of my home made nut brown ale :)  If you are seriously interested in old stuff, I dare say that SWMBO will gladly pack all my stuff up and send it to you when I snuff it.

• Like 1
On 08/05/2012 at 7:54 PM, katyjay said:

All this talk of gravy, do they still make Beardall's Gravy Salts? My m-i-l always used it mixed with flour, instead of Bisto.

I remember Burdall's Gravy salt in a tin. Both the tin and its lid had very sharp edges. Painful and bloody memories. - Salt in a cut - Yeeeeooow.

STB Racing pigeon clock for recording the time the racing pigeons finish the race, I think they are all digital or sommat now days

P1060402.jpg

P1060403.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Never been there Phil, I was given this clock by an old racing pigeon guy because I always wanted one, with them being good time keepers and a bit of a talking point

Rog

I ahve been to Hemswell a couple of times. On my last visit I was rummaging through the huge car boot section when I heard the distingtive sound of four Merlin engines.  Looking up I saw a Lancaster bomber flying at almost zero feet above the airfild.  It went right over my head and of course - my camera was in the car.