Things you don't see anymore

Looking quickly at them at first I thought they were attachments for making ravioli:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Magic roundabout it was Ian, did half a shift on there once, sends ya dizzy.

Ever driven through Hemel Hempstead’s Magic Roundabout?  (Swindon has a similar one too) There were 6 mini roundabouts around one big one. Think that’s been reduced to five minis now though. 

We lived not far from there when our eldest son was learning to drive and one horrible dark winter’s night I went out with him for a practice.  As we approached Hemel Hempstead he said

“We’re not going round the Magic Roundabout are we?”  

“No!” I replied.  “just keep driving”

Well it was the only way to dispel any learner fears ..... he managed it without getting stressed, because he was on it before he realised.   

My husband lost my Dad on it one night, but that’s another story!

Put an Italian in there and you'll see what confusion means. Islands are very few here.

• Like 1

Yes that must be Swindon, it’s not Hemel anyway.   Don’t think I’ve ever even been to Swindon n’er mind been on their Magic Roundabout.   You just have to be positive and no hesitation, then it’s easy to negotiate, the traffic flows well and it’s far better than having dozens of traffic lights.  I do miss it !!

That's definitely Swindon, I've been several times. The first time, I ignored all markings and just headed for the direction I required !

Car windscreen sunshade stickers.  Here's one I bought back in 1988 (Still with its backing paper inplace):

36617433404_a56e95d94c_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Compo said:

Car windscreen sunshade stickers.  Here's one I bought back in 1988:

36617433404_a56e95d94c_h.jpg

- - or worse the sunshade stickers with the names of the occupants emblazoned on them like "Idiot" and "Prat"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the part that states "Over 80% of goods sold in these stores are British made by British labour" nice one

Rog

• Like 3

Going to have to do a search for that one Ian,never heard of it before,Tiger Moth,Gypsy Moth but not a Giant Moth

Rog

• Like 1

Luggage on the railway station (Note: NOT train station!) platform:

39555859844_ebbfc90f9e_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Any one of the bikes below in their original form, except for the odd restored model:

009-1.jpg

• Like 1

British engineering being exported all over the world. This is a  4-8-4 loco for South African Railways, built in Glasgow:

39835446701_24dba541b5_b.jpg

• Like 2

Those old-fashioined stink bombs that smelt of really bad eggs.  These days they are all just a bit whiffy - I suspect that the Health and Safety police have been involved with their manufacture :(

39835840161_154849548e_b.jpg

• Like 2