Things you don't see anymore

Friendly ticket inspectors on the railways. I was travelling on the Strathspey Steam Railway last week and the ticket inspector was a very friendly chap. He gave me a pleasant lesson on the history of the line, especially the whisky trail branch through Balindalloch and Craigallachie, etc. and a friendly handshake as I left the train after the journey.  And I thought railway ticket inspectors were forbidden to smile?!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I cannot find ordinary dried yeast in the supermarket these days. I used to buy Allinsons in a little brown tin. There is plenty of the fast acting yeast that goes in the bread maker and that is fine. I like the type that you put in warm water with sugar to activate when I am making hot cross buns. It is satisfying to see the froth form on the top as the carbon dioxide is produced and this proves that it is viable.  I have adapted my recipes to use the fast acting type.

• Like 2

I'd forgot all about 'yeast' Shirley.......at Marsdens in the 60s,we bought yeast from a van sales company ''Barkers'' think they were local........who sold DCL yeast in one pound blocks,......then we sold it to customers by breaking a piece off in 1 once bits in a cone of greasproof paper, many people made their own bread back then,including me 'Mam' smelt lovely...........Barkers main product was 'Potted meat'...........quarter of best madam, thankyou 1/6 please............

• Like 2

Shirley, If you go into any large Supermarket and ask, you will probably be given some for free. I know it seems hard to believe, but it is true. I haven't had any for a couple of years, but I got mine free from Morrisons/ Asda. Google the query if you are unsure. Worth looking into to see if they still do it.Good Luck. My sister still gets hers free from Asda.

18 minutes ago, BilboroughShirley said:

I cannot find ordinary dried yeast in the supermarket these days.

• Like 2

Talking about company's that made direct delivery's to Marsdens/Farrands back in the 60s reminded me of a few more,.........Binghams Potted meat/salmon Paste, from Sheffield, Blanchards bread from Watnall, Parrs sausages Beeston, Fresh Eggs of Melton Mowbary, Sugar from BSC, Colwick i think,and it came in 14x 2lb Parcels, Soap Powder deliverys from SPD I think from Glaisdale drive,.........all hand-balled into the shops......i must have been fit back then,.............oh nearly forgot our main weekly delivery from Wigman road........and those CWT Barrels of Danish tub butter.............

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Why not just buy a ready made loaf from Tesco ?

We had some very good results when we first bought a bread maker. The novelty did wear off though and as you say it was much more convenient to buy it from the supermarket.

• Like 1

It's been a while since my last lot, but hopefully you will be in luck Shirley.

I just remembered....you can grow your own yeast as well. there are  plenty of instructions on the internet. I have never tried it though.:)

23 hours ago, trogg said:

My wife still buys proper yeast from the local bakers, not sure if its in ounces or grams or just as much as you want.

Taylor's Corn Stores sell proper yeast, along with strong breadmaking flour, etc. Prefer to buy granary loaves from Morrison's.

Morrisons granary loaves are good for me , my wife tells me regularly, so I have to eat them. I have kept complaining about them for so long I daren't tell her I prefer them.

• Like 1

Yes it is wonderful, and the taste. When I make bread or hot cross buns we have some straight away and then I freeze the rest. We take it out as needed and thaw in the microwave so it is slightly warm and just like freshly baked. We also freeze bought bread straight away and thaw as required so none goes to waste. 

• Like 3

I had one as well and the little green triangular flag that went on your cycle handlebars,thanks for the reminder

Rog

On 01/04/2018 at 5:07 PM, BilboroughShirley said:

cannot find ordinary dried yeast in the supermarket these days.

I'm still using the remains of a tin that ran out of date two years ago, Shirley. I bought a few tins as stock and now I'm glad I did.

• Like 1