Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Thanks Compo. Brilliant! I have become a bit disillusioned with a certain other large supermarket as they have drastically cut their ranges of food products to make room for selling clothing. When they say live well for less I think it is less choice!  We are shopping at Morrisons more now as they have the things we are looking for and they have good tea shops. The one in Dundee is a good stopping point for a cuppa on the journey to and from  Aberdeen. We got to the point where my sat-nav directed me in there as part of the journey!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

The one in Dundee is a good stopping point for a cuppa on the journey to and from  Aberdeen.

So why the regular trips to Aberdeen?  forgive me if I appear nosy - I am :)  You probably know that I live in the far north, just short of John O'Groats, so that's why I ask.

Good second-hand shops; you know the kind I mean - used to have lots of them in St Anne's, Arkwright Street, Mansfield Road, etc..  These days it's all charity shops selling stuff that is of no use to their owners. at an inflated price.  What I miss is the proper brick-a-brack that used to fill those house clearance places.

27330455568_6a76d25717_b.jpg

Sadly, now closed - the Jurby Junk shop; situated on an old aerodrome near Ramsay, Isle of Person (Have to watch the PC bit).

26331484147_f7f8fb9cb2_b.jpg

• Like 2

There were a couple of junk shops next to Victoria Baths facing Sneinton Market. I never went in as I was only five or six years old but loved looking in the windows and stuff displayed on the front pavement.

On the market itself a man sold second hand shoes and another sold what my dad called 'odds,sods and tat'

At the bottom of Sneinton Road next to the garage were two more but for some reason I didn't like them and was a little frightened when passing them.

Thinking on I can't imagine anyone letting a five year old wander around the way my little playmates and I did back then.

• Like 1

It sticks in my mind because I was fascinated by the petrol pump that swung out over the pavement to reach the cars, it did not have a forecourt the way they do now. They had a rack of engine oil sold in glass bottles they wheeled out to the car if necessary.

Went by a couple of years ago and it looks like they sell second hand wheels and tyres now.

• Like 2

Brew: A friend's mother bought a small marble clock from the junk shop next ot Viccy Baths for a few shillings, back in the early 1960s.  Turned out to be worth quite a lot of money.

• Like 1

Thats the one Brew, you should have seen what was upstairs in the old stores room, old wooden motor car wheels,old tyres to fit, motor car lamps that had a wick set in a cut down piece of bone with glass lenses and brass bezels, old petrol pump signs,if only we knew then what that stuff would be worth today,I suppose it all went to the tip when the garage finished, looking at the front of the garage from the road there was three petrol pumps on the right and a diesel pump on the left, the three petrols were Shell four star at 5/10 a gallon, Major three star at 5/2 a gallon and Major two star at 4/10 a gallon, Major 20/50 engine oil was 10/6 a gallon in a tin can,the memories are coming back now, AW Lymn the funeral directors had a fuel account with us as did most of the fruit and veg market companies, Mr Lymn would only have Major two star petrol put in his Rolls Royce limos, didn't want higher octane fuel because his drivers wouldn't drive the cars very fast, he should have seen them motor when they were coming back from a funeral,funny the things you remember

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

There were a couple of junk shops next to Victoria Baths facing Sneinton Market.

I remember them. I bought a Mullard valve amplifier handbook from there in 68. Built a Mullard 3-3 for use at work to boost our radio up from mediocre to nearly-painful. The speaker was a 10" free unit fixed in the  top of a concrete pipe. We had fun in those days.

Still got the book.

I seem to remember an army surplus store towards the Locarno.  Probably long gone now but the seemed to have everything from radio parts to canvas bags.  Any body remember it?

Loppy, would that be Bath Street Stores?  Locarno was just at the bottom of Bath St, turn right and it was on the left.

• Like 1

The AA box reminded me that my dad was in the RAC, had the badge on his grill, and when you passed the RAC man, who was usually standing by his motorbike and side car, he would salute the passing members.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

The speaker was a 10" free unit fixed in the  top of a concrete pipe. We had fun in those days.

Still got the book.

Was that the design in Wireless World? I bought the pipe with the intention of making the speaker but then I left home and didn't have the room to accommodate it.

11 hours ago, Compo said:

So why the regular trips to Aberdeen?

Our son did his  degree at Aberdeen University. Fantastic city. Also we love Shetland and we caught the ferry from Aberdeen. Been there 4 times! St Sunniver and St Claire were much nicer boats than Northlink! One year we saw the Northern Lights from the ferry on our return journey. It was an amazing treat.

• Like 3

Your not wrong Ian I knew Mick very well indeed, its a good job the public didn't know some of the stuff that came and went from Nottingham.

Back in the late 80s his team joined forces with an American to form Anglo-American Arms. First thing they did was nip across to China and buy a battalion armoury bloomin everything from tanks, artillery, small arms, swords and bayonets, mostly WW11 stuff.

The big stuff was sold straight into America the rest came here. They rented one off those large concrete warehouses bottom of Trent Lane and turned it to a 'bonded storage' to keep the stuff in. I was an RFD at the time and 6 months later I got a call to help with unloading and cataloguing, 6 large 32 tonners full of gear.

The next 2 weeks were great fun never seen so much rare stuff, silenced 9mm Sterling sub machine guns (god knows how the Chinese came by them). Boxes of Mauser C96 broom handles 40 to a box, most of those were shot out and had to be re-barrelled before sale, that job was done in the USA and they put longer barrels on them, if you were reading magazines at the time you would have seen them for sale about £1500 each.

The Piece De Resistance though was the police swords, exactly like a Samurai sword but with aluminium hilts. Ever the canny bugger Mick got an expert in to examine them, he spent over a week taking off the hilts and examining the blades and markings, each one was rated and placed in a four shelf high rack. At the end Mick asked him how much he owed him, "gimme one of those blades off the top rack please", Mick agreed before he found out they were all worth over £20k each and there were at least 40. The ones on the bottom a couple of hundred at least were just normal swords so the aluminium hilts was replaced we all had one and the rest were sold for £20 each. Mick bought a new house on that deal.

I spoke to the bloke about the blades he explained the when the Japanese invaded China a lot of officers took their family swords with them and then when they lost they were confiscated. All would be original Samurai swords some of better make than others.

If the good folk of Nottingham had known what was down Trent Lane they would have had a dickey fit, every bloke in that warehouse carried, IRA and all that, which the police did not like but could do nothing about as it was a bonded warehouse.

We certainly won't see the like again...............

• Like 2

The Bath Street Store was owned by the Pownall family, Jackie Pownalls was famous in its day.

Vic Pownall had a scrap yard down by the railway on Meadow Lane. He tried to sell me some ex MOD gear, B40 straight eight Rolls Royce engines (brand new in packing crates) Also in Packing crates booster rockets from Bloodhound missiles!

His brothers (half brothers I think) John and Micheal ran Mcintyres at Dunkirk.

On 20/03/2018 at 11:46 AM, IAN123. said:

Nice Badges compo...got all of mine from Gaggs..when getting parts.

Collect Butlins badges too..they are very pricey these days.

I also collect enamel badges

Mine are National Union of Mineworkers I have getting on for 600

• Like 1

Yep he was big mates with Bernard's crowd.

This day was hilarious Neil got first crack and ended up one his arris:rotfl:. The other guy Chris Daniels said he would show him how it should be done, reloaded, swung at the clay and came away with a bloody nose and broken glasses.:crazy::wacko:

Not often I turn down a go with a special piece but bugger that for a game of soldiers, two bores should be fastened down to a punt......

• Like 1