Things you don't see anymore

HI Commo

hate Eurovision song contest last time I saw it was "Sandie Shaw" Puppet on a string 

!!!!!! Benjiman1945     "YOUR MY MAN"  Well said about 1960+ !!!!!!!

Jonab  "" please don't take me to serious,""!!!  I remember 1964 well, as I  married in 1965 never went to university  though my claim to fame for myself that is, at the grand old age of 40 took my O' Level English and passed with flying colours (no scarf though) did manage to get to Nottingham University though as after O' Level  studied 2 years for T/T 730/7 passed, after that I was course coordinator for N.H.T.A. and had to visit and check the health & safety of the salon at the university and  that the  junior at the salon was being given training to the required standard.

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

San Remo song festival is the same. Both are so boring with animated gaps which are embarrasing.

• Like 1

That photo Oz,,a field just like it or was about 5 years ago when i last went,,on the edge of Bulwell hall park,,lovely pic. mate,

Home and Colonial stores. A chain of stores owned by Julius Drewe. My husband remembers one of their shops. We visited Castle Drogo in Devon last week. Julius Drewe had this built at huge cost. The roof leaks and the National Trust is fixing it. Very interesting going up the scaffolding tower and having the repair process explained. Amazing architecture and well worth the visit. Nice tea shop! To get back onto topic, I do not remember a Home and Colonial in Nottingham. Was there one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Travelling on a corpo bus i noticed no signs anymore requesting children paying reduced fares should give up seats to full fare paying passengers.

Annoys me to see kids & some adults blocking a seat with a shopping bag. It never happened in my day . Trouble is the country is full of Snowflakes these days. Where everything wrong is encouraged.

• Like 3

There was a Home & Colonial Stores in Berkhamsted, Herts (where we used to live before coming back to Nottingham). For at least the past 20 years the building has been home to several different antique dealers, housed on 5 floors and also includes a fabulous tea shop on the top floor.  Used to go in there a lot to have lunch and a poke around the antiques.  There’s still a ghost sign outside.   

D6_BAD7_BD-16_F0-453_F-9_AF6-839_CAD8668EBF87_C28-3151-4_BB6-_AFD3-_C019_F3_C892

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

To get back onto topic, I do not remember a Home and Colonial in Nottingham. Was there one?

More than one Shirley , though not sure how many lasted until our era . The one on Arkwright Street was still going in 1950 .

This was an advert from 1927:

42591305804_ef273b874a_b.jpg

• Like 4

Remember a few in the 60s...........Long Eaton high street,,i'm sure had one just a few doors from Marsdens,,

Just remembered one in the 'Precinct' Coalville 64/65,, It was in the days when grocers like this had a 'Bacon' window' the one Coalville was opposite the 'Thrifty' store i managed...........and we were constantly looking at each others display,,and prices,,we finally agreed to keep the prices the same........so the sales would rely on the Displays,,

I suppose it was Brew........but we fixed low.......and called it 'Price maintenance'........remember that ?........Danish Bacon was/is this country's favourite,,.....but back then we had big promotions on ''Ulster Bacon'' which was much cheaper,but tasted completely different to Danish......not bad but different,,funny how a Pig can taste different from a different country.

Marsdens gave me the hard job when i was about 20, of picking the Ulster Bacon sales girls up from there hotel and taking them to different stores around Notts and Derbys,,.........someone had to do it........lol,

Sadly it only lasted a week,,

I'm just watching a bit of Wimbledon...... I know it is several years now, but you never see the Robinsons squash out for the players to sip between sets - they each have their own bottles of water (or Sports drinks) along with a banana occasionally.  I remember the Robinsons ads ... they must have sponsored some of the event

• Like 1

I think there was one on Exchange Walk, on the left going towards the Square. Mum sent me there for 1oz of bay leaves when I was about 12. Darent ask for 1oz so got a quarter. There were enogh to fill a sweet jar. Never lived that down, she told everyone.

• Like 3
On 7/9/2018 at 9:34 PM, catfan said:

Travelling on a corpo bus i noticed no signs anymore requesting children paying reduced fares should give up seats to full fare paying passengers.

Annoys me to see kids & some adults blocking a seat with a shopping bag. It never happened in my day . Trouble is the country is full of Snowflakes these days. Where everything wrong is encouraged.

I have had younger people (usually a good looking woman :P ) give up their seat on the tram at least four times since I moved to Nottingham last year & I'm only 69( but having a walking stick does help )

• Like 1
On 7/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, Dodie said:

I think there was one on Exchange Walk, on the left going towards the Square. Mum sent me there for 1oz of bay leaves when I was about 12. Darent ask for 1oz so got a quarter. There were enogh to fill a sweet jar. Never lived that down, she told everyone.

15 Exchange Walk was there in 1950