Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

c1954, possibly Chapel St Leonards, Lincolnshire. A full week away......heaven!  But wait.... is that a microwave I see at the bottom left of the picture? No, it's a meat safe - remember them?

KWW9S6fE6nEjhp5Qwn8kurul3YZSYkXnpxX6Mv7a

• Like 5

Yes Margie and you needed a bottle opener to get at it,, horrible to drink,,Mam and Dad just used it in their Tea,,thats why i never drink Tea..........

I LOVED stera milk so there :tease:

Hot on me shreddies (three in a pudding bowl) in the morning and in my tea. Towards the end of the week a bottle of stera and a bottle water in a big jug to dilute it. 

The jug was one of those you used to see in bedrooms with a matching bowl.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that link, Catfan.  On there, it also mentioned how one could make woolly pom-poms using two cardboard tops from the school milk bottles.... I remember doing that!

• Like 2

I did that too Margie. The cardboard tops were from wide necked bottles and had a centre you could push out to make a ring. Made good skimmers too.

We also put four pins a cotton reel and made the strings. I think we called it French knitting.

• Like 2

Brew, I used to do French knitting as well, but never knew what to do with  the long tube of wool that was created.  I think I made a mat once by coiling it round and round, then stitching it, but nothing else.

There are kits you can buy for children nowadays to do French knitting.  I suppose it's necessary as cotton reels are plastic now and not wood, so you can't hammer pins in them.  Not that many households use thread anymore..... 

I always used to wonder what French folks got out of knitting long tubes of wool through a cotton reel.  I just thought it was something 'foreigners'.did.  

Foreigners, was what my old grandma used to call 'em when she accidentally got a French station on the old radio.

To any French folks out there,  just kidding.  I don't think my grandma knew how close France actually is.

• Upvote 1

Remember making the pom poms , can you remember when we used to make raffia  mats, you had long thin pieces and had a round carboard section with string, and with a large needle to wove the raffia, it would end up at a tea-pot stand.  Can any of you girls (sorry chaps) remember the first meal that you cooked in domestic science, mine was fish in parsley sauce, their was three time as much sauce as fish.  Took it home and dad being dad said it was the best meal he had ever tasted. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Shall we test him?

Ham Hocks.   2/6

Golden Syrup.1/11

Flat Nescafè tin.1/9

Puffed Wheat.1/11,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats 8/1 sir..........10/- note   thankyou...........1/11 change........have a nice day.....lol

• Like 3

The 'Meat Safe' in Compos Chapel St Leanards caravan picture on page 13 has bought back my memory of the one Grandma had. She lived at the top of Chatsworth Ave Carlton. Living on a steep hill, her back garden was raised and had a concrete wall holding it up 'I imagine'. Directly opposite the back door, was one of those 'Meat Safes' embedded in the wall. It always fascinated me as a child, and if we had to fetch milk for her she was very strict to make sure we closed it. I would love to see if it is still there?

Talking about the milk bottles of old. How many of you can remember holding the silver tops between the index and middle finger and spinning them across the room, just like a flying saucer. Kept me happy for ages.:biggrin:

• Like 4

Carni, have to confess that I still do flick milk bottle tops from time to time! One thing that I can't do though is to smooth them out by running a halfpenny round and round on the inside of the top, made them skim even better!

Your mention of a 'meat safe'. Brings back some dim memories, Carni.  Can you refresh them for me a bit?  Didn't it work something like a built in 'frig?  I suppose the idea was it would keep the meat cool, especially in winter.

• Like 1