Things you don't see anymore

Ask for fish 'n chips in our local chip shop and you get Coalfish - at the price of Cod or Haddock; one must ask for the fish by name.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Coalfish, otherwise known as Saithe or Coley. It is a greyish white fleshed fish in the same family as Pollack and Cod but a very poor relation flavour wise.

Pollack is a poor version of Cod and Haddock too!

Best by far is a bit of Ling, closely followed by Monkfish (The tail end of the Angler Fish) but they're both so damned ugly / slimy folks cock their noses up at the thought of eating it . (All the more for those of us who want it I say !)

I was out fishing the Pentland Firth one evening with the fishing club and I landed a 3lb cod, the only one of the night. Cod was so popular that a fellow member offered to swap his 7lb Pollack for my wee cod - I agreed and enjoyed several fish suppers out of that catch :o) I used to fish the Orkney "Sproal" method which allowed you to fish hard on the bottom. This method was very good for catching Ling.

Lynmee: Does this Compo look like he's any good at washing and cleaning?! Take a look at my photo and judge for yourself why you no longer see "Compo" advertised :o)))

The Black Boy was a favourite of the RAF during the war.

These are just the sort of pictures I wish I had taken when I had the chance.

Hi compo -miller bros, got my first video recorder from them, also other items. It was good shop ,it was built on the site of the former market garage then years later millers closed the shop. then went to netherfield retail park then that closed . was trade that bad?

I worked there from 1981-83. Trade varied throughout the year but was always ok at the Market Garage site. A strange thing happened when it first opened (I was an original employee). A pipeline had been laid along the pavement outside the back door and unknown to anyone it had cut the sewer in two. Eventually, the sewage built up and flooded the store from a drain on the inside. Much damage resulted to stock. However, every silver lining has a cloud....I got a nice TV and Video out of the flood damage :o))

Toilet paper at coal mine offices with "NCB" on every sheet!

I often wish I had started a toilet paper collection with all the different insignia - probably would be worth a fortune now! ;)

I watched both Spitfire and Lightning fly when I was in the RAF - the Lightning was, IMO, more impressive.

Limey: I did have a toilet paper collection - including the NCB. Alas, I lost it in my divorce.