Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Received the following from a railway friend this afternoon in answer to the question about railway bogs discharging onto the track:

"The newer units, 158, 170, 172, etc., the Voyagers,

and Pendolinos all have retention tanks, as do the ECML Mk.4 coaching stock.

HSTs and Mk.3 and 2 stock discharge onto the track. AFAIK a lot of the

"Southern" stock, but not all, still drops onto the track, but not all of

their stock is toilet-equipped anyway. "

The 158 stock that uses our line (Far North, Scotrail) still discharges on to the track - I know.... there's some soiled bog roll just up the line from our house :o(

Some chimney fire Poohbear! I have a sweeping brush and use it on our two fires. I once got the brush section stuck in the chimney and had to go onto the roof to poke it out.

Called a "Scarab", it was the workhorse of the railways for many years. Could turn on its own axis. Great little vehicle though.

Funny I was watching the BBC 4 steam feature tonight, and they were talking about BT freight transport.

Reminded me of an airfix model I had. The Scammel Scarab, which is what that is.

According to Google it would have been 1963.

Type20220Scammel20Scarab20kit.jpg

There are 67 parts to this excellent kit. With it you can make a true scale model of the Scarab tractor complet with a choice of trailer. There's a Watney's trailer complete with barrels, or a British Railways flat-bed trailer. Take your pick - you get them both.

You can buy then via

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix-scammel-scarab-p-383.html

• Upvote 1

re that bumper, was it "spring steel"? could do with similar on my fiesta! all round, from back to front! had it 9 months and 4 people have managed to clout it somehow! luckily just paint damage, guess it's these idiots who go shopping in things more suited to the Australian Outback or Gobi Desert than Morrison's carpark

That would be High St on the rear left, Front St centre and St Alban's Rd directly on the left - would it?

I remember the library and the swimming baths alongside (out of shot). But when I was a kid the block of houses between High St and Front St had gone and been replaced by a lawn and "The Forms". I was born at 51 high St at my grandma's house.

That's how I first remembered it. I recall a teacher at the British School up the road referring to it as the 'garden fork'. I never knew if that was the common term for it but it's how I've referred to it since. Even in the 1960s, High Street in particular looked much different to how it looks now. Always remember the little shops dotted at various intervals along it and the some of the old yards that lead on to Front Street like Hardstaff's Yard etc.

• Upvote 1

Scammell Scarabs: Weapon of choice for BRS (British Road Services) pea green livery, if I recall correctly, had a huge depot on Triumph Road??