Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

It could turn on a sixpence, apparently.

Do we know of any preserved examples?

This from a trainspotting friend:

There's certainly one! This one, which was locally based judging by the reg

number, was at the Crewe Works Open Day in September 2005.

CreweOpen05A.jpg?gl=GB

CreweOpen05B.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

Yes top of King Street, that and Queen St I knew well as 36 and 37 trolley bus (my route into town) terminus, that shop may have become part of Jessops in later years? I recall it had a large curved glass window and there was a rumour someone either on a motorbike or cycle had gone through it misjudging the corner and got killed?

Re The Scammell Scarab, one was based at Basford Vernon Station in BR days and I recall Saxby's on Bar Lane had at least one, though by time I worked there it was confined to internal movement of rolls of fabric etc around the yard, was told some traffic act came in banning 3 wheel "artics"? They also had some "baby" ones, 3 wheel "trucks" with a lister diesel engine, the driver stood up on such and the front wheel did a full 360 degree turn. They used them for towing "trains" of containers of cloth to be dyed etc or big rollers of fabric. When Saxby's shut the trucks finished up in Haydn Road Scrap Yard, one still ran ok and I bought the engine from it, think 7hp, very heavy! originally intention was to fit in my boat, realised after fitting marine g/box not feasible so sold it, Last I heard it was fitted in a Greek Fishing Boat!

\snip\. Always remember the little shops dotted at various intervals along it and the some of the old yards that lead on to Front Street like Hardstaff's Yard etc.

I particularly remember Wharton's Dairy and wasn't there a funeral director's next door towards the "Croft"?

There still is a funeral director's on that stretch there Compo. Maybe the same premises I'm not sure.

Do you remember Wellington Street and Wood Street further up on the same side, after The Croft? There was also another little yard just further on than Hardstaff's Yard which ran into a footpath onto Front Street if I recall. It seems like a different world now Compo. Things move on but much of the character, like in may other town I guess, has been lost..

I saw some potential plans for the top end of the town between High Street and Front Street in the area from where ASDA is now and Cross Street. That end of town is a bit of a poor relation these days with many of the more popular businesses being at the other end of Arnold. There's also a lack of decent pubs bringing business at that end these days with the Robin Hood struggling on, the 'Nelly' now a coffee bar and the Druids nothing but wasteland. It included a large square with businesses all round it and was connected to the potential closure of Arnold Library and swimming pool together with the notion of building a new leisure centre on Kings George's Rec (which was never on). I never thought the plans would come to pass but it looked like an idea that might have helped revitalise that end of Arnold to a degree, albeit it would have been a terrible move to take those facilities away. ASDA have been trying to get that stretch at the top end of Arnold forever. I hope they never do.

Stu,

There is a major storm blowing here in Caithness, I just hope I can get this message off before the power goes again....

I do remember Wellington and Wood Streets. The Druids Tavern (with Landlord/lady Eric and Hilda) was my regular - it being the one where they always let us in under age :o) Kimberley bitter was a great beer for beginners. Hilda's cheese and onion cobs were to die for! Last time I was in Arnold was many years ago when the Druids was only open part-time; I was deeply disappointed with its condition and never went back - too sad.

Hold on to your marbles Compo. I can't remember how to play the game; only that we used to look for a suitable hole on the pavement in which to roll them into.

Lovely photograph of boats docked at Trent Bridge; truely Wonderful isn't it how a photograph can immediately stimulate the memory?

YES LITTLE WOOLWORTH WAS THE HOCKLY BRANCH ONLY ABOUT ONE THIRD THE SIZE OF BIG WOOLIES ON LISTER GATE WORKED THERE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS WHENT OUT WITH A GUY THAT WORKED AT POOLS FOR A FEW WEEKS . AND REMEMBER ALL THOSE SHOPS MENTIONED . WHEN IT WAS STOCK CHECKING TIME TWO OF US FROM EACH STORE WOULD SPEND TWO DAYS A WEEK GING ROUND ALL THE OTHER STORES IN NOTTINGHAM CHECKING THERE OWN STOCK TAKE. CLIFTON BEESTON ARNOLD SHERWOOD ALL HAD THERE OWN WOOLWORTHS IN THOSE DAYS. BUT THE ONE THING THEY ALL HAD THEN WAS THE BIG HIGHLY POLISED WOODEN COUNTERS ALL STORES WERE SET OUT DIFERENTLY DEPENDING ON THE SIZE AND SHAPE OF THE STORE AND CARRIED MUCH THE SAME THINGS BUT BUG WOOLIES HAD THING OTHERS DID NOT HAVE BECAUSE OF THE SIZE OF THE STORE PLUSE IT HAD THE CAFE UPSTAIRS, CLEANING THE COUNTERS WAS THE FIRST THING YOU HAD TO DO IN THE MORNING IF YOU DID NOT HAVE CUSTOMERS GET OUT THE POLISH AND DUSTERS AND POLISH THE WOOD CARNT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THAT POLISH BUT IT WAS IN A CLASS BOTTLE LIKE A BABY LOTION AND SMELLED REALY NICE BUT IF YOU WERE NOT CAREFUL YOU COULD GET HIGH ON IT. THEN REFILL THE STOCK LAST THING AT NIGHT YOU HAD TO SWEEP OUT YOUR COUNTER YOU WORKED ON MY MAIN COUNTER WAS HARD WEAR BUT DURING LUNCH OUR YOU WORKED ON ANY COUNTER YOU WERE NEEDED ON , SO WORKED ON SWEET GROSERIES MAKE UP LIGHTING TOYS HABADASHERY,ONLY ONE I DID NOT WORK ON WAS DELIE HAS YOOU HAD TO HAVE SPECIAL TRAING TO USE THE SLICING MACHINES .

• Upvote 1

ANOTHER GAME WE USED TO PLAY WITH MARBLES INDOORS YOU NEEDED AN OLD SHOE BOX THAT YOU CUT HOLES OF DIFFERENT SIZES INTO THE SMALLER THE HOLE THE HIGHER YOUR SCORE USSUALLY HAD ABOUT FIVE HOLES YOU GOT1 FOR THE BIG HOLE AND A TEN FOR THE HOLE THAT WAS JUST A BIT BIGGER THAN MARBLE AND NUMBERS IN BETWEEN FOR THE OTHERS, PUT THE BOX NEAR THE WALL AND ROLL FROM FOUR OR FIVE FT AWAY THE WINNER WAS THE ONE WITH THE HIGHEST SCORE AT THE END OF THE GAME, EACH PLAYER HAD THE SAME NUMBER OF MARBLES TO START WITH AND YOU PLAYED FOR A PENNY FROM EACH PLAYER OR A CERTAIN NUMBER OF MARBLES AND THE WINNER GOT THE MARBLES OR THE PENNIES,WE PLAYED THIS AS A FAMILY BUT NOT FOR MONEY MUM WOULD NOT LET US, ANOTHER GAME WE PLAYED IN OUR HOUSE A LOT WAS DOMINOES AS WELL AS ALL KINDS OF CARD GAMES OH AND WE HAD TABLE SKITTLES.

When we played marbles it was to get nearest to the hole without going down. Also played getting your marbles nearest to the wall wins, you could knock your mates marbles out off the way to do it, you would pick all the same colour marbles for yourself, and your mates would do the same.