Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On 1/14/2020 at 1:44 AM, IAN FINN said:

Murray mints Murray mints too good to hurry mints do they still make them?

Yep they're still around. I saw them in Sainsbury’s earlier this week.

Anybody seen Nuttall's Mintoes on sale anywhere? IIRC they were made in Doncaster. M&S did a slightly softer version a few years back but they could still manage to pull yer fillings out.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Compo said:

Black Magic as was:

blackmagic-2649634b.jpg

Black Magic today:

blackmagic-2649634a.jpg

Great article here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2397937/Now-thats-magic-The-adverts-helped-Black-Magic-chocolates-SAVE-Rowntrees-brought-luxury-masses--just-14p-box.html

I saw one of the original empty Black Magic caskets from the 1930s at an antique fair a few weeks back. It still had the red ribbon on it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, denshaw said:

Handles on mattresses, it's difficult to turn them. 

Bullworkers, made you look like Charles Atlas after two weeks.

It kills your fingernails trying to manoeuvre a heavy mattress with no handles.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:16 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Stavertongirl, I'm with you, loved the marzipan ones. It is virtually impossible to find any chocolate assortment these days that has a marzipan one. Unless somebody out there knows differently.

Ritter do an excellent dark chocolate marzipan bar. Tesco used to sell them and I think Waitrose still do.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ritter-sport-plain-chocolate-marzipan-filling/009680-4793-4794?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Zev54CH5wIVRrTtCh3uXABxEAQYASABEgIKfvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe you can still get a Bagatelle Ian but they’re no doubt made of plastic now.  The one we had was quite large, painted green and had little gold-coloured pins to catch the marbles or whatever balls we used.  

• Like 1

Ours was Brown and used ball bearings my dad brought home. As a four year old it was the same height as myself when stood on its end.

• Like 1

Heathkit was/is an American company based in Michigan, I'm sure they had a Heathkit UK based in the south of England. I built several kits in the early 1970's.

I've built a couple here stateside before they went under in the 90's, the name and rights were purchased by a small group who now market kits once more.

I still have a biscuit tin full of transistors, resistors, ICs, capacitors and breadboard etc. one day when I get a roundtuit...

I'm in the process of obtaining new/used parts for a Heathkit SB-200 amplifier, the one that covers 10, 15, 20, 40 and 80 metres. Was given to me by an old friend before he went to the great Ham Shack in the sky. Has odd knobs, scratched and modified front plate. Bought a set of original knobs, will order a new face plate, feller on "Fleabay" has some black professional face plates. I will replace the power supply board, add "soft start" board, totally recap the amp, two new tubes, cabinet paint job and she will look like new, and hopefully work a treat on HF.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I'm in the process of obtaining new/used parts for a Heathkit SB-200 amplifier, the one that covers 10, 15, 20, 40 and 80 metres. Was given to me by an old friend before he went to the great Ham Shack in the sky. Has odd knobs, scratched and modified front plate. Bought a set of original knobs, will order a new face plate, feller on "Fleabay" has some black professional face plates. I will replace the power supply board, add "soft start" board, totally recap the amp, two new tubes, cabinet paint job and she will look like new, and hopefully work a treat on HF.

It's going to rival Trigger's sweeping brush by the time you've finished. "It's only had 17 new heads and 14 new handles!"  Used to love Fools and Horses, especially Trigger.

• Like 1

What killed the original Heathkits off was prices, you could buy a comparable ready off the shelf item half the price of a kit.

My first kit was a bench multimeter, then an RF generator, and next was an O'scope. I regret leaving the multimeter behind when I left the UK. It was the IM-25, very large meter movement, so reasonably accurate. I found a used one in clean condition a year or so back and purchased it, more out of sentimental  reasons..

I have several Heathkit test instruments I bought at good prices over the years and a few I acquired for nothing, two bridges I know are pretty inaccurate, they measure capacitance, inductance and resistance and the "Q" of a coil. Far more accurate test instruments are available at reasonable prices these days, but it's nice and nostalgic.

• Like 1

Sounds like you and I both suffer from Squirrel syndrome Ayup. I have a range of instruments I just can't get rid of even though I will never have need of them again. 

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic but I bought my first computer, a Sharp MZ80 from Lasky's, in 1979 - 80 and taught myself programming in BASIC and PASCAL. I've forgotten all of the PASCAL now but BASIC is still in my brain somewhere. It was one of the loss leaders in their January sale and I bought it for about £100, reduced from £300. Had to queue in line to get it when the place opened in the afternoon. The price was equivalent to about £430 now.

The machine was extremely limited in what it could do in comparison to a modern PC or MAC but it did teach me the fundamental of computing which has been very useful. 

A Sharp MZ80? I thought I was the only person in Nottingham who had bought one of those! Even had the built in cassette tape drive (still got checksum errors, though).

It might even still be in the loft of the house my ex-wife still lives in.

22 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

The bagatelle game we got at Christmas when we were kids dont know if they make today.

There is a firm making bagatelles also shove ha'penny and pub table skittles. They are called Mastersofthegames and can be found on Google.