Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Top-20.jpg

The Landing Stage at Trent Bridge

Wish I'd seen that picture last year when I was searching for information on the third Trent Bridge...that buttress to the left of the boat is still there today...part of the old horse bridge that was swept away by floods in the late 1800s.It was used by the towpath horses to pull barges from the Grantham canal just up river ...across the Trent to the locks,And into the section that approached the town.

78aaebbe.jpg

A lot of folks, with shopping daily, just took a shopping basket. You couldn't do that in Tesco's nowadays with folks buying for the seige of Mafeking.

That's what put me on to it Kath !

I remember regularly being sent to the shops with me mams big red shopping bag.

And the girls all had a basket to take to school to do cookery!

They still use them in Lancing, Sussex! My m-i-l lives there, and had one when she could still walk 'up town' she came home with someone elses once as there were so many parked inside the Co-op, all looking the same. They call the south coast towns 'God's waiting room' there are so many pensioners live there.

My mum always had her shopping bag hanging on the back of the pantry door; she used to put clean newspaper at the bottom - of course when it got soiled she'd replace it.

When sent on errands I was given a list of things to buy, the money and I helped myself to mum's shopping bag.

The 'string bags' Kath mentions were made of nylon - which became the craze in the 50's. You could buy the bags in different colours and they were really quite amazing the stuff you could carry; they very rarely broke as they were made from strong stuff but if they did break, you just tied the ends that had broken back together again.

The basket we used for cookery, there was a craze at one time to get a coloured plastic one. The handle was always white, but the basket came in green, red, yellow, blue I think. I had green to match my 'house' colour, Nuthall. And I made a cover for it in needlework class, how posh can you get?

Nylon stockings held up with a suspender belt. They came seamless or with a seam up the back, in different deniers.

Thank you for your detailed description...I'm sure males on here are very grateful and needed their memories jogging with regard to the appearance of this female fashion item.

The method of pulling them on the legs and clipping to the said suspender belt seems to have slipped my memory....

a short resume of the method used would be most helpful...but please explain this sloooooowly so we can savour remember the application.

c2ccfec2.jpg

Don't want you drooling on your keyboard, Poohbear, so I'll skip the description, suffice to say they were a darn sight easier to get on and off than tights!