Things you don't see anymore

Street knife sharpener on his grinding wheel bike. One used to turn up on Peveril St every month or so.

Last one I saw was at a Town open market in France. I tried to buy the machine but he refused - offered 1000 euro but still not interested.  

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On 6/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Anyone remember their real name in Nottingham ?

Ben, if you mean Nottingham, then it started life as, "Snot's hame" which became Snottingham. Named after a leader whose name happened to be 'Snot .(no connection to the way we refer to it nowadays).

13 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Street knife sharpener on his grinding wheel bike. One used to turn up on Peveril St every month or so.

Picture Nottingham have a photo of something which may be similar. 

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm010069/posterid/ntgm010069.html

Being in the street with a knife might be more of an issue nowadays.  Not sure that "I was taking it to be sharpened" would satisfy the boys in blue.

• Upvote 1

@PeverilPeril

The one that came to Clifton had a bicycle with a stand on the back wheel. This lifted the rear wheel clear of the ground while he sat and pedalled, a belt drove the grind wheel.

Here's something very similar, scroll fown, the first B/W photo is closer:

https://tradesmansbike.wordpress.com/1940s1950s-knife-sharpener-gundle/

I used to see a ‘proper’ gypsy with a horse drawn caravan over 30 years ago. He carried knife sharpening equipment and and was always busy. He used to camp on the Epperstone back lane and on the Halloughton junction near to Brackenhurst. He appeared every year for many years.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Ben, if you mean Nottingham, then it started life as, "Snot's hame" which became Snottingham. Named after a leader whose name happened to be 'Snot .(no connection to the way we refer to it nowadays).

may i take my friend b back to my post 12 hours ago 

Someone got lost somewhere along the line..........

Snottingham ???

I was talking about ''Dolly Blues''

• Like 1
On 6/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, Brew said:

We have been asked to keep this in the appropriate thread... Let's play nice and do as we are told...

If we all did as we were told , what a boring and oppresed life that would be.

• Like 1

Sorry Ben, I thought the query was Nottm.  old name..

I remember my mum used to send me up to Taylors shop on Denman Street and ask for a 'Dolly Bag' and I thought she were buying me some sweeties. How gullible can you get as a child.

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

may i take my friend b back to my post 12 hours ago

I were referring to the first name. Transpires we were both on the wrong track.   B.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I remember my mum used to send me up to Taylors shop on Denman Street and ask for a 'Dolly Bag' and I thought she were buying me some sweeties. 

I remember 'Lucky Bags' which had sweets in them. Usually a few scraps of cheap, uninteresting bits and pieces.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

...and I think the answer might be in the link I posted a few days ago. 'Dolly Blue' seems to have been the real name.

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/laundry-blue.aspx

LOL............real name...''NOBS''.........well it was in Bulwell anyway....

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

LOL............real name...''NOBS''.........well it was in Bulwell anyway....

You just reminded me that me mam called it nobby blue.

• Like 1

Think they were all'' Hand me downs''' Marg'' from older brothers.........lots of really poor kids about in the 50s...........

Averts  Can you tell Stork from Butter   

Answer on a post card please

My Answer Yes !!!! I can tell stork from butter.

Another 'things you don't see'..."We are the Ovaltinies " where are they now? Bet Mary will know..   B.

Brew if you can't spoile  your self at our ages when can we?

Having said that can't you remember going to Co-op and the butter was scoped from a wooden barrel with 2 wooden bats and made up to squares and then wrapped in grese-proof paper, I have never eaten  marg but have    tasted it but  thanks but no thanks. Went to a pub years ago (it was dinning  time so orderd a sarnie, one bit and it went back, WHY the sandwhich had marge on.

Sorry B don't kown where all the Oveltinies boy's and girls have gone. Maybe Uncle Mac might know? (Sat morning 10 00 radio)

On 7/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, Beekay said:

Another 'things you don't see'..."We are the Ovaltinies " where are they now? Bet Mary will know..   B.

Just to prove a point ...a genuine advert.         B.

Screenshot-20220710-100933-You-Tube.jpg

• Like 1