Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

David, That’s a very stereotypical view of a gay man!   The gay men I’ve known aren’t remotely like that…. 

• Like 3

Remember this 'Instrumental' from my 15th birthday in 1960....

Mam and Dad said i could invite a few Pals round for a little party.....and they told me no drinking or smoking ...and they went out for the evening.......

Keith bought the Beer...Harry loads of Fags...and Hazel 2 bottles of 'Emva cream''.............from memory there were about 10 girls and 5 lads.......

The other record i remember from that night was ''Running Bear'' (still got it).......great night music.. Dancing...Postmans knock...

Mam had just had new 'Lino' laid and was very proud of it...shame most of the girls wore ''High Heels'' and just about ruined it.......she eventually forgave me.....

Edit......just realised put this on wrong thread.......anyway you dont see much ''Lino'' anymore......lol

• Like 3

What you listening to?........but as you say cliff ton ..it fits here as well...probably more so.....

Yes stopped having Parties....of any kind.......still see a couple of the girls though in Bulwell........:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, MargieH said:

David, That’s a very stereotypical view of a gay man!   The gay men I’ve known aren’t remotely like that…. 

It was stereo  typical again on the bus home last night as i had to sit between two drag queens margie !!

David - but a drag Queen is different from an ‘ordinary’ (for want of a better word) homosexual person.’

• Like 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes stopped having Parties

That is something I dont see anymore, just to bring the thread back to stop the driff, someone banned me from them years ago . It appears I cannot be trusted. Ben we both have a likening to parties and Bulwell ladies. God bless them.

• Like 1

Talking of parties , i tell you what you don't see anymore , Ben on his way to Bulwell with a keg of party seven tucked under his arm !!!

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

For a great example of that (and a policeman going home in uniform) watch this from 1:44 - 1:54.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNGzE47Fhg&t=24s

That was the finest set of films and pictures of old Nottingham ive ever seen.......thanks cliff ton......

Combined with the music it bought a lump to my throat...and if i was sentimental ''a tear to my eye''...........

Made me realise although ive lived all over......Nottingham my birth place will be with me forever......

• Like 4

From CTs link onto YouTube you can see quite a number of cine films. From an Edwardian tram journey through to 8mm films of 60s, 70s right up to recent times. Seeing the miner off to work in his helmet etc., off to Clifton pit, reminded me of when I worked at Bestwood pit in 1958, before I were allocated a locker in the baths.     B

People were well dressed for one thing. I didn't see anyone suffering from morbid obesity and stuffed into leggings with their top half tattooed to within an inch of its life and falling out of a vest!  1951, Hardy Amies and The New Look . Infinitely preferable to 2022 and If You Want To Keep Your Breakfast Down, Don't Look!

I recognise two of the speakers in the square, not from 1951 (I was six), but they stood and pontificated for a good few years and certainly up to the late 50s.

In 1951 we were still rationed and needed coupons for certain food items. People were reportedly healthier due mainly, so they said, to restricted calorie intake and lack of personal transportation, i.e., everyone walked and  cycled far more than they do today.

Everyone dressed as well as they could, most had 'best', or 'going out' clothes because pride in appearance and a sense of being respectable, was about all they had. Ladies had hair 'do's' and blokes used Brylcreem and made sure they washed their necks before venturing out on soirée. Men had pints, bitter or Mild, occasionally mixed.  Ladies a half, a small Sherry, a Barley Wine or something a little more exotic if they really wanted to push the boat out. Wine drinking was virtually unheard of unless you were in Yates necking a schooner of some disgusting Australian concoction. Or came from the upper reaches of the Trent Valley... or Woodthorpe....   :rolleyes:

I met my wife at the right-hand side lion (Oscar?), on a blind date. After a riot of a night in the Flying Horse, I walked her to the  bus stop, where she promptly threw up when I went to kiss her!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always dressed up to go into town, as did my friends. I don't think 'casual' clothes existed in the 60's really. You dressed up for work, going dancing, cinema and shopping. Some ladies might have their rollers in when local shopping, but always covered  by a headscarf. We have seen in the past photos,  folks on holiday still dressed in their 'home' clothes. I have a photo of me in Trafalgar Square on a Raleigh day trip all dressed up including stilettos to walk around London.

We lived in Woodthorpe in the 50’s in a little semi where we kept chickens in the back garden and grew vegetables. We used to kill a chicken for our Christmas dinner. My father repaired watches to supplement his income (he had been an instrument tech. In the RAF). Both my parents were born down the Meadows. I do know what it’s like to be poor but I also came to know that by hard graft and single mindedness you can rise up the ladder. I was born with a silver spoon but it does say EPNS on the handle!

• Like 2

Funny you should say that Phil, my mam always told me I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, and I took her literally! I really thought I did. I was born in a council house of working class folks, but I think what she meant was, I had it a lot better than they did growing up.