Things you don't see anymore

Both my parents families ultimately moved out of the Meadows into the Sneinton Dale area. That was a step up in those days! One family moved to a council house on Greenwood Rd. and the other, all six of them, to a small terraced house on Lyndhurst Rd.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

David can we add on to your post also women sitting on window ledges to clean there windows.

• Upvote 1

Mary, 'er indoors still does sit on the window ledge when cleaning.

And we live in a tent !          B.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Kids walking to school.

Must be a regional thing because around here, twice a day, the pavements are full of kids walking to/from school....as well as those who get chauffered by their parents in SUVs.

Ladies in seamed tights

Just for the girls 

Whiripool bras

All this hot weather when we were kids and it was hot the gastar bubbles would form in the curbs and you just had to burst them with your thumb, then you would gat coverd in gastar, The  only way to get it off your finger was with lard or butter. 

Are there any roads left with gastar running dow the curb side?

• Like 1

@mary1947 Gas tar bubbles ,  brings back memories of the hot summer in the 60,s me and my brother sitting on the kerb at Leicester street , st anns , with a box of matches and dipping them in the tar , also i remember , a song blaring out someone's transistor radio too , it was called   Bernardette  sang by the Four tops , motown legends !

• Like 1

To have the gas tar bubbles you must live on a road with cobbles

.Of cause where there are cobbles you must have chocks. Chocks not sure of spelling but it was a hole between cobbles for your marbles games.

• Like 1

Love Letters

with  words on the envelop I can only remember

ITALY 

I TRUST AND LOVE YOU 

Can any member think of any more?

• 5 months later...

Sorry radford had to look back at my post to see about the 5 min rule. 

Bliue sugar bags ?? you don't see any more maybe my mum and dad used them all up, Dad brought a all night burner (fire that use wood or coal) and to keep it going all night the Blue Sugar bags that you speak of were filled with slack and yes the fire did stay in all night. but hay!!! we got though a hell of a lot of blue sugar bags.

Just asked Paul if he remembers blue sugar bags and he immediately said “yes, they were dark blue”. I can’t remember them at all - probably because I wasn’t interested in the process of cooking food (mum did all that) and i never had sugar in tea