Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On 5/20/2023 at 3:01 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The only car lock I ever had - many years ago - was one of these....which clamped over the handbrake and gear lever.

For security I always used to take out the rotor arm when parked in dubious locales. Can't do that these days as modern cars do not have distributors each cylinder has its own coil pack.

I understand thefts of catalytic converters is growing as ferals cash them in for the precious metal content.

• Like 1

I thought anyone taking scrap now has to have a "waste disposal License" before getting rid of any scrap or are the scrap yards not bothered about checking them, surely it must show up on the books at some point or is all this license rubbish another attempt at showing the people what they want to see, can't trust anyone these days

Rog

The scrap dealers in the Newark area are members of the non travelling traveller’s community.  A whole load were stopped last week for not having licences and various motoring offences. People do encourage them though by leaving unwanted scrap and white goods outside their gates rather than paying for disposal. We’ve got a woman down our lane who’s verge often looks like junkyard until the ‘collectors’ come along.

• Like 1

I must admit I had to have a new car battery a friend delivered me a new one, when it came to the disposal of the old one I left it at the end of my drive and next morning it had gone.

Mrs P has tried that many times with me Trogg but as yet she's had no takers slywink

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, David sheridan said:

Yes Leicester street in st anns was a cobble stone street as all the other street in thaf area too , we loved those old st anns streets brings back sweet childhood memories!

You were 3 streets from where I lived  from top St Ann's WellRd   Wesminister St    Lotus  St Norland Road,   Duncome St  .Edwin st   Liecester St  hopefull I'm right were your street  was. Was there a laundrett at the bottom of your   road

Things you don't see any more  

Rag Week

Gross Cash Register's 

Cars with Collum

Larger n' Black

Cherry B 

Babycham

Pony

Mini Skirts

PARTIES??? 

and thers more.

7 hours ago, Beekay said:

My three brothers !

so sorry Beekay   I have 2 brothers and i can not remember when I last saw them, the trouble is now days folks live such extic lives that they don't have time for each other. my youngest brother lives in Germany and the way my moblitiy is their is no chance that I will ever see him. My eldest brother lives in Welton Lincs last year he was dianosed with Parkinson's so I don't think that I will see him again also he is 8 years older than myself and  I can't remember much about him he joined the RAF at 14 and he was in the RAF till he retired, all I can remember is that one weekend he came home on leave and he was trying to teach me a new dance craze,  its was "Rock n Roll"   but even if we don't see each other ever again we have our memories.  Thats if we don't get dementia.

• Like 1

Hi @mary1947, sadly, my reason for not seeing my brothers anymore is because they've all passed away and no bugger bothered to tell me. One older brother, and two younger than me.

I have no idea when they died, so was never able to say goodbye to any of them. Must admit, I was rather bitter for a long while but realised that was pointless so just get on with life. Getting up to mischief usually.

• Like 2
On 3/3/2023 at 4:42 PM, Beekay said:

A.R., when were you at Annesley pit? Could be possibly I X-rayed you. 

I was there from 88 to closure under British Coal, I remember an X Ray in a mobile unit in the car park. My last one maybe in the early 90's. I was satisfactory and later had one for Pneumoconiosis ?? (dustlol) and they said I had lungs of a man ten years younger so 22 years underground I am lucky.

• Like 1

In reply to your above post, I finished at the x-ray Centre, Bulwell, in mid 1986. The centre closed down then and I was transferred to Mansfield health centre (N.C.B.) but I then had to change cars from mine to the firms car and continue up to Wath-on-Dearne. So half my day was spent travelling as nowhere had any work for me. I should have gone to Eastwood Hall, in the car pool. It was proposed I was to be one of Ian McGregors drivers. But when it was found that I would still be on staff salary, that never materialised. I finished with the Coal Board about September 86' and went taxi driving until February 87' ,when I moved to East Sussex. The rest of the staff at "Springhead" all took redundancy.

• Like 1

My first X Ray for the Coal Board was near Babbington Pit (1971) on my medical before starting at the Training Centre. Is that the one you refer to at Bulwell ?

That's  correct A.R., "Springhead" x-ray centre was on Cinderhill Road, Bulwell. We used to keep the mobile x-ray unit in a garage at Babbington colliery. The entrance was on Cinderhill Road, near the Headstocks pub. Entrance was next to the railway bridge,(now a tram track). I started there mid 70s. I even found my first x-ray taken in 1958, when I started at Bestwood colliery. Left there c.1961.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Maybe we should just quote each others posts.  That always seemed to rattle his chain.  :biggrin:

Here's the first one Loppy. ! :crazy:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Maybe we should just quote each others posts.  That always seemed to rattle his chain.  :biggrin:

I have only just stopped quoting other posts have I to start quoting them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Northern dairies or Co op milk float but a milk float all the same, remember the whining sound as they pulled away and the rattle of the milk bottles as the came to a stop, times when early mornings were much quieter and slower paced

DSCF2288.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 2

We've had milk deliveries since we moved here in 1976. The present chap delivers very early in the morning, often around 1:00 a.m. I'm often still up and bring it in then, but he knows where the sun comes up and leaves it in the shade, so there's never been a problem with it turning sour.