Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Hickies (Love bites) I know they weren't that popular way back when , but they were in the 70s/80s.!

I'm sure every lad wanted his girl to have a Love Bite from him and to display it with pride. You'd as likely get done for assault or sexual harrassment if you tried it these days.

There was something missing from the kitchen.

Can anyone remember those kitchen cabinets 5-6 feet tall that had two doors on the top with glass in them.

Below that was a drop down worksurface with food storage behind it.

Below that was a two door food cupboard ?

They were a kitchen store cupboard and combined preparation surface & dining table. They had a name but for the life of me I can't think of it.

I can only remember them being called kitchen cabinets.I think they were brought out to satisfy demand for something to replace a proper pantry which many new houses didn't have any more.They disappeared when fitted kitchens became popular.

Re the kitchen cabinet thingy, we had one in early 1970's, think we "inherited" it when we moved into council house, me and wife were sat in front room one day when there was an almighty crash! our lad then aged maybe 3 had climbed onto the hinge down "preparation bit" and the whole thing c/w pots, pans, cups, plates,knives and forks, food etc had tipped over with him on it! luckily it hit the sink so didn't trap him under it but hell of a mess as everything breakable did so on the solid quarry tile floor! remember both him and the cat who at time was eating under it in a state of shock! lol

the one i had mid seventies was four cuboards wide and a bit like a welsh dresser but with the clas fronted door at the top and no drop down peice just a work surface. i never had fitted kitchen when we lived in lenton had this until we moved in 1989 it was formica in wood grain effect.

i think the lable thing mick is thinking about said lady love ring any bells with you mick

• Upvote 1

I recall the cabinets had enamelled tin 'work tops' on the pull down surface?

My dad built mam a kitchen unit, c/w worktop, wood covered in 'fablon'............... my dad covered many surfaces with the dreaded fablon, but always got air bubbles in everything bless him.

I remember meeting one of the first Nottingham 'skins' back in the 60's

Down at the Union Stewards pub in St Anns

A Forest supporter called 'Hoss'