Things you don't see anymore

my cabinet was a lot wider than that compo about 6ft wide and 5 to 6 ft highlooked a bit lie a fitted kitchen but with side panels.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

How about reading lights that clipped on the back of the headboard on your bed? I remember these from my childhood, not that I had one, [wished I had!] but my parents had one. It was a translucent plastic, not smooth, kind of beige colour, with a on-off switch on the cord.

Also I do believe you could plug a round electric socket into the lightbulb fixture that hung down in the middle of your room.

When i lived in the medders there was only one power socket in the house. Hanging from the ceiling there was a Y shaped adapter, light bulb one side and a round electric outlet to plug the TV into.

What about those 'slimming' machines. You face the machine, put a wide belt around your back and hook both ends onto the machine, switch it on and it wobbles your fat! Saw one of these yesterday on a program called Storage Wars, a group of folks bid on abandoned storage units, one of these machines was in there. I'd forgotten all about them. I remember there being on in a ladies loo in the early 60's, somewhere in Nottingham. I think you put 6d in to make it work.

When i lived in the medders there was only one power socket in the house. Hanging from the ceiling there was a Y shaped adapter, light bulb one side and a round electric outlet to plug the TV into.

You used to see electric irons plugged into these light sockets!

$(KGrHqMOKpIE3tbWfed0BOHFQ(KGVQ~~0_35.GIF

You can still buy these on the internet but they are smaller than the originals.

Anyone mention STILTS yet? My uncle made himself a pair so high, he had to climb an 8 foot rockery to get on them! :biggrin:

Remembering the Norman Wisdom film where he wanted to join the Police Force and he was turned down because he was too short; so he went off home, made himself a pair of stilts, then went back so many feet taller hoping he'd be reconsidered! :crazy: Yeh Crazy Man!

I couldn't believe they could stand still on stilts for long enough for me to take several pictures. They were 'Arsi tribe' boys.

A few more tribal people from the Omo Valley in Southern Ethiopia:

Mursi1.JPG?gl=GB

Above: Mursi women SCARY!

Below: Mursi village

Mursi3.JPG?gl=GB

Below: Mursi Teenagers

Mursi7.JPG?gl=GB

Below: Roadside fruit sellers (Forget the tribal name - sorry)

Roadside%2520fruit%2520sales.JPG?gl=GB

Below: This Oromo boy followed me around for ages (his willy is defying his trousers)

Small%2520boy.JPG?gl=GB

I'll post few more pics if anyone is interested in wildlife and scenery in Ethiopia.

Compo

You could do with a separate thread* under members interests.

Do these people not mind you taking pictures of them.

The story of your visit would make interesting reading.

*<split topic?>

• Upvote 1

Mudgie - I've been asked to start a new thread "Members' interests". Mick2me will add those photos to that thread when I start it, perhaps in a few minutes when I get through my emails.

Mudgie - I've been asked to start a new thread "Members' interests". Mick2me will add those photos to that thread when I start it, perhaps in a few minutes when I get through my emails.

Get checkin Compo.

Interesting stuff that wereno1

Baz :ninja:

Does anyone recall the "boom time for lit up advertising"? suddenly on Nottingham Rd New Basford there was a surge in factory etc electric signs, no idea who's was first, but recall them springing up, Walker Read, Mayfair Manufacturing, Spreckley & Evans, Wombell,s, Cheshires of Nottingham, Rouquinet, all I think had some sort of illuminated signs and the best of all was Taylors Box Factory, corner of Malton Rd who had their name at front as per joined up writing in red neon, and down the side of the factory in similar style "Have your boxes Taylor made"! whilst on the opposite corner Cheshires "Concord House" became Conccrd House for years after a mate Geoff Hart hit the sign with a football!

went past all those buildings the other night, not only a ghost town but a dark and dismal one too