Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Mixed Fruit Jam, costing 1/3d (7p) a jar.

Cheap and cheerful looking (deep red colour) :blush:

My mum occasionally used to make mini Yorkshire puddings to go with the Sunday dinner; some of these were eaten with the meat and gravy and the others were used for pudding, jam or treacle spread on them. :)

yorkies wi jam in em, me mam made her own jam, we always had them after sunday dinner (not lunch in our 'ouse) yummy, still have them now

Yorkshire pudding and if there is any batter left over - pancakes! With sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice, of course.

I remember my Mum and Dad having a light that went over the headboard Kath, nearly bloody electrocuted myself on it too !

It had a wire which came down the bed with a switch on it, we were all piled in with them one morning (Possibly Christmas) when the switch came off the wire. Out of the kindness of my soul (And innocent ignorance) I got hold of the wire to move it out of everybodies way.

Bet you can't guess what happenend next??

I've been wary of electricity ever since

surely you mean lemon juice? hence the invention of Jif

surely you mean lemon juice? hence the invention of Jif

No, I mean orange juice. Oranges were at treat for me as a kid and I still like them.

I remember my Mum and Dad having a light that went over the headboard Kath, nearly bloody electrocuted myself on it too !

It had a wire which came down the bed with a switch on it, we were all piled in with them one morning (Possibly Christmas) when the switch came off the wire. Out of the kindness of my soul (And innocent ignorance) I got hold of the wire to move it out of everybodies way.

Bet you can't guess what happenend next??

I've been wary of electricity ever since

one morning (Possibly Christmas) when the switch came off the wire. Out of the kindness of my soul (And innocent ignorance) I got hold of the wire to move it out of everybodies way. Bet you can't guess what happenend next??

\snip\

You saw Santa behind the headboard sleeping off last nights sherries and mince pies?

We had orange juice on our pancakes too! With sugar of course!

Always oranges for us, I suppose it was 'cos you could eats what was left after squeezin' joos aht, weeaht the sour face, :blink: still prefer orange on pancakes nah, :yahoo:

:) How Versatile the Yorkshire Pudding Mixture:

A big Yorkshire Pud - can be used as a savoury or as a sweet with jam, treacle, milk and sugar.

Little Yorkshire Puds - can be used as a savoury or as a sweet (see above), cordon bleu style: small fruit dropped into mixture - blackberries, raspberries etc. :blush:

Toad in the Hole - sausages cooked within the batter.

Pancakes - see above for individual ways to serve.

Think of any more ideas? :biggrin:

It used to be that EVERY pub that offered food had Steak & Kidney pie on the menu, but it seems to have disappeared! Have the Brits lost their taste for this wonderful British specialty? I love it, and am disappointed I cannot indulge in several (with peas & chips) when I visit!

Think of any more ideas? :biggrin:

Put in the inside of your shoe, like insoles, but only when they haven't risen of course :)

Pour the mix into a leaking car radiator, & it'll stop the leak thumbsup

Drink the mix, as a hangover cure slywink perhaps

It used to be that EVERY pub that offered food had Steak & Kidney pie on the menu, but it seems to have disappeared! Have the Brits lost their taste for this wonderful British specialty? I love it, and am disappointed I cannot indulge in several (with peas & chips) when I visit!

It's because it tastes 'offal' !!

Seriously I had the best I've ever eaten in a little eaterie in Spain a couple of months ago .

I forgot to mention that we had Yorkshire puddings with golden syrup in them as kids, Mum called them "Pop overs"

Reminds me of a sad story, many years ago me & my mate Sid, went to visit a food factory whilst on holiday in Bombay, unfortunately during our visit a cobra dropped from the rafters & went down Sid's vest, causing him to fall into one of the huge vats used for cooking/processing meat.

Unfortunately the process can't stop once started, so Bombay became the first City to feature Snake & Sidney Pie on the local menu............I'll get me coat kickme

Nah then, Fray Bentos make rubbish snake and pigmy pies but they were on offer at Lidls the other week at £1 per pie. I bought a stock in whilst they were at a reasonable price for to keep as standby grub.

Pancake batter - an alternative use:

Piping hot deep fat. Spoonful of batter. Dribble batter from a height into fat and eat with a little salt when fried to a crisp. Yummy as a treat.

Good idea Compo. It sounds like you're a well seasoned cook. :biggrin:

Perhaps you've already tried this?: Leave behind a little of the Yorkshire Pudding Mix, add meat juices, gravy salt and stock; makes gravy rich and thick - all ready for dinner. :)

My mum always added a little of the mix to thicken gravy, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :biggrin:

Still think my alternatives at # 1021 take some beating............. :tongue:

Nah then, Fray Bentos make rubbish snake and pigmy pies

Is there any way to cook these pies so that the pastry touching the meat is not like a rubber sheet?

Just had a 'chicken' Fray Bentos pie for me tea. There wasn't any meat inside to go rubbery! I think that even at £1 they are not really worth it.

Not yet tried adding batter to gravy bill will do now that you've mentioned it :o)