Things you don't see anymore

Not yet tried adding batter to gravy bill will do now that you've mentioned it :o)

Looking back, & knowing waht I now do about prices, we probably couldn't afford Cornflour for thickening.................so this was next best thing? :)

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Paulus, wise comment; cornflour has always been and is still expensive.

My mum always bought a small pack at Christmas time for making a sweet, white sauce to go with the Christmas pud. :)

Compo, Fray Bentos pies used to be lovely I remember; I think at one time they only made Steak and Kidney - very enjoyable :). The last time I had one, which must have been years ago, the smell of the meat used was enough to put one off eating it!

My mum always bought a small pack at Christmas time for making a sweet, white sauce to go with the Christmas pud. :)

It's only now that I appreciate the inventiveness & ingenuity of all mum's that cooked through the rationing years, always finding ways of achieving good wholesome meals on a budget, not monetary, but inficted by the times we lived in.

I've never once felt deprived of anything during my childhood, & if I was it was always eclipsed by the love my mother shared around the family, my siblings & I will always remember our darling mum as someone who was always there for us, even when we weren't being perfect children, that unconditional love that only a mother posseses.

• Upvote 2

My mum taught me how to make gravy, and we never used cornstarch (cornflour). You simply make a roux using plain flour and fat from the roast drippings, then slowly add the stock. It is more work than using cornflour, but it isn't that hard - just requires a LOT of stirring!

I bought some yesterday to make my batter 99cents lb about 60p

How about Pilchards on toast i still like them but they are called sardines here

Bought a large packet of Tesco Cornflour a couple of weeks ago for 69p

I always use plain flour to make a roux for a sauce base. Easy and better consistency than cornflour. Wartime austerity rubbed off on we baby boomers!

WHENI WAS A PLAY WORKER ONE OF THE THINGS WE USED TO DO WAS PUT CORNFLOUR ATER AND FOOD COLOURING MIX ON A TRAYTHE KIDS LOVED IT WHEN ON THE TRAY IT WOULD FELL HARD AND SLIGHTLY PLYABLE BUT AS SOON AS YOU PICKED IT UP ITS STARTS TO GO ALL RUNNY AND RUNS THROUGH THE FINGERS BACK ON THE TRAY GOES HARD AGAIN,KIDS LOVE IT AND I OFTEN USED IT WITH KIDS WHO NEEDED A BIT OF CALMING DOWN ANG GOOD FOR KIDS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS AS SOMETHING THAT COULD BE DONE EASILY FROM A WEELCHAIR AND HELPS WITH FINGER MOVEMENTS TOO.

• Upvote 1

Great tune by a great musician, Compo. I think it was the theme music from a film by the same name. I've got a few by Duane Eddy, including EP's, and still listen to them today. I've downloaded all my music onto the computer and listen to it as I work on the computer.

All this talk of gravy, do they still make Beardall's Gravy Salts? My m-i-l always used it mixed with flour, instead of Bisto.

Cant Say I've seen that Kath?

Compo, Re The tinned pies, its the lower side of the pastry that stays like a rubber sheet, and not the meat.

All this talk of gravy, do they still make Beardall's Gravy Salts? My m-i-l always used it mixed with flour, instead of Bisto.

Still double quoting - not my fault, honest!

I saw this product in a shop the other week Kath.

Michael, The tune was also used a a theme for the pirate DJ Johnnie Walker, now of Radio 2 fame.

60s and 70s request show on Radio Caroline 9pm-midnight Tuesdays.

www.radiocaroline.co.uk

You can edit your post before posting

Take everything out on one of the quotes

[ quote]....... ..... [ /quote]

Which reminds me of shopping for gravy powder a few months back , I was looking for Beardalls but Morrisons don't seem to do it any more, as we scanned the shelves SWMBO came out with the classic line "Ah Bisto!! "

She said it genuinely not realising she'd said their umpteen year old advertising slogan !!

• 2 weeks later...

dresses on baby boys or the flannelet nighties all babies had when new born reguardless of there sex ktj.now all baby grows and baby bags in al kinds of designs

I remember those nighties, had 2 strips of fabric that tied around the back. My lot wore knitted vests too. And when they were first born they wore a band around their middle to protect the umbilical cord. Don't think they do that nowadays.

mine did not have the band round the waist just a plastic clip to stopp the bleeding dropped of when the cord fully dried out still do that know as far as i know

The plastic clips stays put...........................it's the baby that drops off......................

yuo might be right at that paulus. bye the way our eldest son is called paul but i have always called him paulus the little gnomb from the childrens tv charecter from when he was small