Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

If people are daft enough to pay 20% tax on potatoes and a piece of fish they deserve to get ripped off.there's 20% on bog paper too...so they've got you at both ends.

Remember when those drip trays were made of chrome plated steel???

That's because he's busy commuting between all these houses he has in Notts. :laugh:

:) How strange and touching that you should put the above photograph on Fynger; for the other day the well-known 'xylophone man', who used to sit outside the busy C&A area came into my mind.

I was wondering if his choice of simple music played on a simple instrument was deliberate and that he was reminding the human race to slow down and not move too fast!

The xylophone was one of the first musical instruments introduced to us at school; aged 5, I well remember my fascination for this simple instrument.

Could the 'xylophone man' had hoped to take us back to our beginnings again?

I'd like to think that the 'xylophone man' had solved the meaning of life. :)

The steam organs on Goose Fair would fascinate me as a child.......................huge & noisy beasts!!

• Upvote 1

Jubilee phone boxes. This one is still operational but no longer takes coins. Location: Braemore, Caithness:

002.JPG?gl=GB

That's a good use for them. The one's around here are still in use as phone boxes.

Compo's photograph - @ #1127 - of the 'modern' fireplace is of the 50's time, when the verb to: 'modernize' became popular.

The 50's seemed to have been a time when everybody was getting into fashion and having their old fireplaces removed and modern ones put in; in fact if you didn't have your fireplace removed you were considered old fashioned.

It was quite an occasion replacing (ripping out) an old fireplace: the new fireplace became a talking point amongst friends, neighbours and family.

The design of the modern tiled fireplaces were affected by the Art Deco Movement I'm sure.

During the 50's, also familiar was the use of the well worn phrase: 'Do-it-Yourself'. Barry Bucknell had a load of followers with his TV programme: 'Barry Bucknell's Do It Yourself'.

Another popular phrase of the time was: 'flush it', :) meaning to hardboard over the doors in the house, pelmets and cupboards; these could be decorated with attractive beading and a fancy handle applied. There were loads of these to choose from - different shapes, sizes and colours - at Woolworths; they could be placed either vertical, horizontal or at an angle on the 'flushed' panel. :)

Busy times for the do-it-your-selfer back then! :)