Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Yes Ashle Billy Cotton would be my third choice too.

And thanks (not) for the memory of 'Sing Something Simple'

Does that remind me of miserable cold wet Sunday tea times!

yes sing something simpleton was compulsory at my grandma's (as was the Sunday visit to her house on Noel Street,) just worked it out that's about 2,000 hours over the years approx 7 whole weeks of my life wasted! 17 if you knock off the asleep hours,

Paulus, you missed the N's out

"Playing out" up Bully (Bulwell) fields or in the Roundwood on Sunday afternoons and then going home for tea. Sunday tea was always a salad - yeuch!

Wasn't 'Hiram Holliday' on telly on Sunday at about 4ish?

Lovely Sundays, years back.

I try and keep the sunday tradition going in my house! Its time for family, to rest and eat a big roast dinner infront of the telle! :)

..... What happend to the yellow snaps (crisps) and the Puffs (again, crisps) i used to love those as a kid.. ya cant gettum anywhere now. And little family run 'corner shops' i remember and miss the typical smell of them, theres still two in netherfield but they arent the same as they were when i was growing up.and the old proper ones like the one that used to be on deabil st have all be turned into flats!

Potato Puffs, well said Pixie! I used to love them but I haven't seen them for donkeys' years.

I did a tourism HNC in the early 90s and these credit card machines were the ones I trained on. All gone now though - thankfully!

• Upvote 1

It's not that long ago, if you paid by credit/debit card, the shop assistant would swipe your card using one of these primitive, manual contraptions.

card.jpg

Worked at the newer pets at home in Daybrook arnold from the time it first opened, and we had to use one of these quite abit while the card machines went wappy!

It seems to have at least three meanings - (a) "gone wrong" - as in credit card machines; (b) "stupid/loopy/doo-lally" - as in people; © "floppy" - as in damp cardboard or very wet hardboard. Perhaps there are more - but I agree, a good and useful expression.

• 2 weeks later...