Things you don't see anymore

I remember our rocking horse, Christine, was much higher off the ground than that one, and if you fell off you fell on a hard surface. We were obviously made of sterner stuff in those days!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

:biggrin: Remembering those vast, amazing Swingboats:

I loved to visit my great grandma who lived in Radford Woodhouse because whilst my grandma 'did' - cooked and cleaned - for her parents, my sister, uncle and myself could escape on to the park on Radford Bridge Road, where a wonderful Swingboat resided; there weren't many Swingboats on the Nottingham City Parks.

It was wonderful to work the Swingboat, one person standing at each end, making the vast swing go higher and higher - almost touching the sky! :biggrin:

I recall some of the items on Melbourne park;

Spiders web; roundabout that was tubes of steel linked like a spiders web, just went around

Rocking horse; like the photo, but up on pillars

Witches hat; steel frame made in a cone shape, went round but also side to side

Box roundabout;

Slide, swings & baby swings

See saw

Not 100% certain but may have been the 2 ended (2 person) swings also, operated by each person pushing/pulling

PS: Lots of kids would shout if anyone reversed the direction of the roundabouts: 'that's the sick way'!!..................

Yes, about 1952-54 I remember most of them on Melbourne Park - but not the rocking horse. I think that was a standard design that came a bit later. (I remember them on West Park, Long Eaton in the later 50s). I was also occasionally taken to Stockhill Park, which had a virtually identical collection.

We called the "Witches Hat" a "Policeman's Helmet"! Yes, I remember one in West Park - also two big (to me) slides!

CapDart_zps7ad03836.jpg

Anybody remember the cap darts where you put a cap into it and threw it against the wall or something. On impact it would go off with a bang. The caps were the same as what you put into the cap guns.

Remember them well, MB.

Back in the 50s, I had a metal, grape size, ball which split in half and you could put 1-2-3 caps inside. Fastened together with a string looped around the grooves of the two halves, you flicked it up in the air by the tail end of the string and when it came back and hit the ground - Kaboom! Naturally, the more caps the better. Trouble was the two halves used to seperate and you would spend heaps of time finding the missing half - if ever.

Later on, plastic versions of what is in your picture came on the market and the caps were set off when a plunger in the nose of the dart impacted with the ground and detonated the cap in the nose cone.

The plastic ones were never as good as the old metal ones.

We used to make our own with a bike wheel (Hub) bolt, an old playing card, match heads and "Dome nuts" even better when i worked at 'The Raleigh' as you could walk out with a pocket full and not risk the wrath of security as you could claim you were using them on the job and forgot to empty them out (As actually happened to a mate of mine!)

The idea was to cut the heads off of a box of matches, cram as many heads and bits of phospherous into the dome nut as you could, tighten said nut onto the bolt, cut playing card and sellotape to bolt to form a 'flight' , then lob in the air as high as you could.

God they didn't half go with a bang when you got it right !!