Things you don't see anymore

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Yup, me. We love Yorkshire Tea, which is pretty strong, so 1 tea bag does 2 small mugs, which we use for a cuppa. I'm sure they'll die out eventually though as most folks make their tea in a mug. As well as teapots, bone china tea sets will be a thing of the past. Loads of them in charity shops we noticed, nobody does 'tea' like they used to.

• Upvote 1

Me too! And Tetley tea (my sister works for Tata). 2-bags/pot which yields two small mugs - yes, I like it strong! My other sister makes exceedingly weak tea, or as my dad would have said "when I was that weak, they were sitting up all night wi me"!

Also have a bigger "Brown Betty" for use when we have visitors!

I like strong tea too, and hate too much milk in tea so that that's all you can taste We used to say about strong tea, strong enough to stand a spoon up in it, and weak tea, just like a fortnight - too weak.

I'm taking our Charlotte out to her ballet lesson in a few minutes , and whilst she's there I nip round the in laws and have a 'cuppa there . She ,somehow, makes a far better brew than I do, we can't work out why, I do exactly the same and mine just tastes inferior some how.

Water quality makes a HUGE difference in tea! We have fairly hard water here, like around Nottingham, and it makes good tea (beer too!). When I lived in Virginia the tea was always terrible - and to make good beer you had to add calcium!

My ma in law only lives on the other side of town !!!. Mind you I've always said the water this side (There's a river running through the middle !!) is from a different supply. Strongly denied as scurrilous by the schools in the area though !!!

Coalmen….I suppose it’s still possible to get coal delivered, but when I

Was a kid the NCB coalmen were a daily sight on the estate. I could never understand how they managed to get their faces so black, a dirty job granted, but they must have blacked up deliberately, Al Jolson wannabes if you ask me.

Metal meat skewers in your Sunday joint from the butcher.

Mash cans..They were white enamel with a metal cup for the lid. Used all the time on building sites in the 60’s, my elder brother was a fireman on the steam locos, he had one too. 1s 9d from Wakefield Army Stores.

Something I haven’t seen for forty years; my first wife and my bank & building society savings books…..Scottish bast ! lol

I did see a Coalman a couple of weeks ago in Draycott.

We last had coal delivered a couple of years ago but not now.

Good supply of pallets since.

Anyone want to buy any nails?

Last had a coal man in the mid seventies. Smokeless by then. Can anyone remember the sizes of coke? I think they were graded and called 'nuts', 'nuggetts' etc

Our coalman was an ex-miner, drove a Ford Thames Trader, why the coal/coke bags did not fall off defeats me.

If he had a cup of tea he would drink it from the saucer as it cooled more quickly. His name was Jack Burnett, lived in Beeston.

That wouldn't be the same Burnett family that had or still got the garage/crane hire/second hand office furniture that's on the main road between Attenborough and Chilwell would it?

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Parcels tied up with string, and sealing wax on the knots.

Wincyette pajamas and nighties, I always got them for Christmas. Are they called flannel now?

Candlewick bedspreads with an eiderdown on top.

That was sterilized milk, straight "past yer eyes" had a foil top.

Anybody remember (Tom?) Sandersons Tripe Shop in Parliament St?....Also, Sandersons Pies made in Bulwell and sold in most Nottm chippies before the introduction of "Pukka's"

Owdtite.