Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I used to eat some sweets that started with Jap something, not sure it was filberts. They were square, chewy and either yellow, pink of brown. You bought them loose from the big sweet jars.

Telegraph lads riding their PO red BSA Bantams !

When I worked as a PO engineer they was based in the Parcel sorting office on Brook St, also remember a couple of their names, Pete Swift (Swifty) who came onto the engineering maintenance side later, another "Messo" was called Bob, tall ginger haired lad who moved to the mechanical section before emigrating like me to Oz, caught up with him years later in Perth WA, where he now resides.

Another "small world" episode.

Suddenly thought last night while watching the ads appearing on TV every few minutes and lasting forever.......................

Who can remember back in the early days of commercial TV when the ads came on virtually every 15 minutes.

The programme would start on time, say 8pm, then 15 minutes later you would get a break with the words 'End Of Part One' and then, a couple of minutes later, 'Part Two'

You could organise your toilet, coffee or tea break and not miss anything, regardless of the type of show - Sunday Night at the London Palladium, Cheyenne, Dangerman et al.

Things we don't do anymore!!!!like opening a door for a lady,when walking with a lady walking on the road side,people wishing you good morning even if they don't know you.Respect for your elders, offering your bus or train seat not swearing in public,and my favourite not returning phone calls or emails or answering letters.

man walking round playing the accordian tatman goldfish fer' old rags

as kids we often went in the phone box and listened to the speaking clock- 'at the next stroke it will be 7 28 and 5 seconds precisely or something like that does it still go to-day? iwonder

Cash returnable bottles ,smelly tramps ,roadside huts with fire for workmen,mass produced British owned and built cars,however something you can find from years ago is tiles from houses pulled down in old meadows,our friend Dennis transported some up north for 're use.

Telegraph lads riding their PO red BSA Bantams !

When I worked as a PO engineer they was based in the Parcel sorting office on Brook St, also remember a couple of their names, Pete Swift (Swifty) who came onto the engineering maintenance side later, another "Messo" was called Bob, tall ginger haired lad who moved to the mechanical section before emigrating like me to Oz, caught up with him years later in Perth WA, where he now resides.

Another "small world" episode.

Here you go Banjo48:

DSC00410.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

Don't see as many watches on wrists nowadays, ask someone the time and they whip their cell phone out to look. same with cameras. Personally I still use both.

• Upvote 1

I'm dead green, me! I have a solar powered wristwatch. It's a Mondaine; the type railways use. It's made with recycled materials.

Needlers Maltona Drops, malty flavoured buttery boiled sweets, flattish with a dimple in the centre! Re #1811, Andy, I recall that Jap Filberts were a flat soft chewy sweet covered in dessicated coconut.

• Upvote 1

Well remembered commo,but you forgot the hazelnut in the middle ,at leanst I think it was a hazelnut,remember serving them to the drunks in Roy and arches sweet sho next door to the poets,down the medias in the 60s,my dad got me mam a tomatoes juice Sunday dinner as he staggered home from the pub,most blokes took sweets or chocs or summit,don't know why ,they still got a rollicking whilst they ate the dinner that had been 're heated over a boiling pan.that was kids entertainment,happy days.

Nah then, there was a chocolate bar in the 50s and 60s, si milar in size to a Picnic or Nux bar, that had sections, each containing a nut and a fondant mallow filling. What the flip was it called?!

#1826.............i remember one of them at Victoria Station 1960, i was a 'van-lad at Midland station at the time, even remember the driver big fat chap.

Pianoman #1828: No, it wasn't Topic. This bar had IIRC four blobs, each containing the mallow and a nut.