Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Or a Rudge. Anyone remember them ? I had a Rudge Whitworth in the early 50's .

Well, Mr Basfordred........I had a Pink Witch........

Wot, no grafitti! And by the look of it, it smells lovely and fresh, not like a urinal or a tramp's bedroom.

Yes - you picked up the phone and the operator said 'Number Please' - then it changed and you dialled the number yourself and inserted your three pennies, if the person answered you pressed button 'A' - if they did not you pressed button 'B' and got your money back..............The phone booth had telephone directories which nobody ever stole and the booth's were never vandalised.........In my teenage years I spent many a happy time in them snogging.........

• Upvote 2

A call to our Grandmother.

Dial 100.

"Exchange,can I help You"?

"Trunks Please"

''Connecting you''

''Trunks, can I help you?''

''Seaburn 984 please''

''Connection you''

''Sorry the party line is engaged, could you try again later"

And you did and there was congestion on the trunk line, please try again later....

At least some things have improved, but the telephonists were all so very nice and polite.

• Upvote 3

Yes - you picked up the phone and the operator said 'Number Please' - then it changed and you dialled the number yourself and inserted your three pennies, if the person answered you pressed button 'A' - if they did not you pressed button 'B' and got your money back..............The phone booth had telephone directories which nobody ever stole and the booth's were never vandalised.........In my teenage years I spent many a happy time in them snogging.........

If we passed a phone-box when we was kids, we'd always run in and push button B to see if anyone had forgotten, hoping some pennies might come out. Can't ever remember getting any though.

I was once doing a bit of snogging in a corner in the Tavern in the Town. There was a bang on the table and the landlord, an old misery, had put down a salt-pot. ' There's some salt for your meat ' he says. Cheeky git!

• Upvote 1

The electric meter being emptied of pennies. I could never work out why it was the bloke doing it rolled some of the pennies in paper then gave them back to us. Still not sure about that.

Re #2164 - Remember doing that in Westport, Ireland once - about 1970. Wanted to book a cabin on the boat from Dun Laoghaire to Heysham (after the Britannia Bridge had been burnt - before you tell me the boats went to Holyhead!) First, you had to wind the handle to attract the operator's attention. Then you asked for the number. Then she said, "There's a two hour delay on calls to Dublin, I'll book your call for 3 o' clock" [or whatever time it was]. Then you went back to the phone box at that time (hoping there was nobody monopolising the thing) and went through the rigmarole all over again, and then she put you through. How that all worked I have no idea - but it seemed to !

The electric meter being emptied of pennies.

There again, in my day (mid-1960s at any rate) it was shillings. People in our shop were always asking for shillings in their change for the meters, and my mother would often send me to the bank on a Saturday morning (they closed at 11.30am I seem to remember) to get £5 or so of shillings.

In the 60s all things American seemed to be popular from President Kennedy to all the American TV programmes that were the staple early evening - I Love Lucy, Bilco, Bewitched etc.It also seemed all the children 's programmes were American - Casey Jones, Whirlybirds, Rin Tin Tin etc.In many of the few UK programmes the accents were American too all the Jerry Anderson series for example.

With all the American cowboy programmes we watched little wonder American Civil War cards took over from stamps or book matches as the thing to collect.I think they came with bubble or chewing gum but this was an irrelevance.

Rare ones were being bartered in every corner of the playground.

I guess these were the forerunner to Pokemon today.