Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

With all the American cowboy programmes we watched little wonder American Civil War cards took over from stamps or book matches as the thing to collect.I think they came with bubble or chewing gum but this was an irrelevance.

Rare ones were being bartered in every corner of the playground.

I guess these were the forerunner to Pokemon today.

We used to be mad on those cards down our way early 60's. They were very gory, as you can see. Wouldn't be allowed for kids these days I suppose.

CivilWarNewscards.jpg

The electric meter being emptied of pennies. I could never work out why it was the bloke doing it rolled some of the pennies in paper then gave them back to us. Still not sure about that.

If you spent a lot of pennies on gas, you got soem commission.......

We used to be mad on those cards down our way early 60's. They were very gory, as you can see. Wouldn't be allowed for kids these days I suppose.

CivilWarNewscards.jpg

In the 50's the cards were of film stars, if we got the same card, we swapped with a friend....

Fifties card collecting was a little early for me, but I do remember the film star ones. I also seem to recall a card set called 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium'. I don't know what they were issued with though.

• Upvote 1

Harvo Malt Loaf?

There was a time when you could buy Harvo and Soreen Malt Loaf. Our favourite was Harvo, it wasn't as sticky as Soreen. Then all of a sudden it disappeared. 1970/80s since We had Harvo. Any one know if it went out of production or changed name?

• Upvote 1

DaveN, Thankyou Miduck, I looked at your link and, it explains Harvo's disappearence.

Harvo was another brand of malt loaf which was made in Birmingham until the company went bankrupt in 1973. In some areas the name Harvo or Harvo Loaf is still often used to describe malt loaf regardless of the brand.

Ooh, malt loaf. Always buy one when we come over, clarty doesn't begin to describe it, but it's worth getting stuck to the roof of your mouth!

• Upvote 2

You may think Izal was bad, but we never had the luxury of toilet paper. We had newspaper cut into squares and hanging on a nail. You always had something to read though!

i remember newspaper cut into squares ...outside loos and outside tin bath

• Upvote 1