Things you don't see anymore

#2251 Compo,

Lemon puffs still available in oz ! wife bought some only the other day. God knows where they are made though.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

#banjo

When I was in Oz some years ago, I wondered what a Lamington was.

I found out that it's a kind of chocolate covered sponge cake with dessicated coconut sprinkled over it. Delicious !

I tried to sample all the well known Oz stuff like Vegemite etc.

As far as sweets go, I liked Allen's Wild Berries and Minties.

There are lots of sweets here in England that you don't see anymore AND the fact that a lot of the well known ones now taste crap.

I hadn't had a Mars bar for decades. When I tried one recently it tasted naff.

I know people are going to suggest that it's my memory playing tricks, but I really don't think so.

I firmly believe that they've cheapened the ingredients. Just as Kraft are doing now to 'traditional' Cadbury's brands.

There's definitley something changed about the Creme Egg. Even Cadburys Dairy Milk looks and tastes different.

I remember years ago when Galaxy was a lovely creamy chocolate - now it tastes powdery and clogging.

Bounty bars initially seem allright but you are left with an 'after taste' of fat. It didn't used to be like that.

None of these manufacturers will admit to anything - they don't even want to put the ingredients on the packaging.

Not quite things that you do not see anymore, but something that seems to be getting less common.

I was in Sainsbury's Arnold this morning - it was busy. As Mrs Chulla was pushing the trolley around and occasionally dropping something in it, I mooched around. I noticed that most women were wearing trousers/jeans and the like, and I thought that years ago, when I was young, a woman wearing slacks or trousers was not a common sight. I then walked around the store from one end to the other, looking down all of the isles, and counted the number of females that were wearing a skirt or a frock. Believe it or not there were just eight, and they all had leggings on as well. It wasn't cold outside, just a little windy.

Are skirts and frocks going out of fashion with adults?

• Upvote 1

I don't really agree Tony1. I think everyday wear for women has generally veered towards jeans and slacks for comforts sake. I personally wouldn't wear a dress or skirt with 'comfy shoes' so therefore wouldn't go shopping in a dress. I never wear a skirt as I don't like the look, however I wear a dress occasionally if we go out to dinner, and I wear nice shoes with it, but certainly not leggings! Just don't expect me to walk far in heels!

• Upvote 1

#2251 Compo,

Lemon puffs still available in oz ! wife bought some only the other day. God knows where they are made though.

The ones in the picture are in Sri Lanka last month. They seem to be their favourite biscuit and at 50p per pack they were mine too!

Sickles

I still have two sickles. I bought them in Ethiopia some years ago but they do a great job when used correctly.

Compo.....I can remember a farm hand for Syd Hackett cutting and trimming the hedges around the fields next to the kennels in ROT with long handled and short handled Sickles.

His labours were a work of art, the finished product was flat top and sides and, once he had finished one side, he would be back to do the next one the following day.

Most hedges back then were Hawthorn as well, from memory.

You do not see that any more either!

Hawthorn Hedges are great for deterring intruders, but they play havoc with our cycle innertubes. Four punctures in three days. Must remember to check we have packed the repair kit. We found out the hard way the other day and had a long walk home. Pushing the bikes :rolleyes:

Not so good with pets either Carni, After hedge cutting you have to be very careful and make sure all the clippings are collected. We have had to take our dog a couple of times to the vets to have thorns removed. Vets are very expensive,

Cheap form of fencing though....cattle and pigs kept away from the hawthorn....Bit of a bugger when you were bird nesting though!

England winning at Cricket.........................just lost to bleddy Bangladesh................God help us when we play the mighty Afghanistan.

• Upvote 1