Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Not after grubby kids have had their snotty fingers in them. God, what a thought !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Grubby fingers in the sweet box, not the gas lamps . LOL

Mens sock Garters

Seams in stockings

Sunday best clothes

Men combing their hair in a shop window reflection

Housewives Aprons

Dusters / hair scarves

Small pox vaccination scars

Bench seats in cars

Steering column gear change

Headlight foot switch

"Running in" signs on cars

Inner tubes

Remoulds

Wind screen wipers that hang down

Slide rulers

Wind up alarm clocks

Televisons that take 3 minutes to warm up.

The white dot when you turn off the TV

• Upvote 3

We were just discussing what our parents used for washing the dishes in the 30/40s (Mainly Us) lol. It seems the same thing was used for Laundry and Dishes as well. Oxydol being one option and Soap Flakes, plenty of clean water for rinsing!

While researching, I found this link to some information on daily life in the 30/40s, and also a reminder as to the style of homes at that time. Most of us probably lived in homes similar. http://www.iwm.org.uk/learning/resources/the-1940s-house

• Upvote 2

Come to think of it. To posh for us as well. There was some resemblence to both sets of Grandparents homes. One a semi detached council home in Carlton and one a Terraced House in St Annes area. The furnishings and Kitchen looked similar, but no bathroom and inside toilet for us. I noticed that there weren't any Army Blankets or Coats on the beds either. Mmm, Far to posh for the average family.

I wonder if there is still a house in Clifton with a Reddifusion switchbox on the wall? And; A bench seat in the car, problem when you are driving but brillo when you are parked with a girl!!! and column gear change, even better, get that stick out of the way!!!!