Things you don't see anymore

That's just reminded me...... Dolly Mixtures !!!!!

cinder toffee, traffic light lollipops kalie(not sure if spelt correctly2oz kalie to dip yer lollipop in ...yum ooh and sherbert dips

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Andrews Liver Salts - lovely stuff. I actually liked the taste and remember mixing some even when I didn't need it!!

It was all bubbly and refreshing................

• Upvote 1

i remember them they were round with hole in middle like polos but fruit flavoured , loved them

You're thinking of fruit polos not spangles...spangles had a dimple...not a hole. Both a manufacturing con to save a percentage of ingredients...Just imagine the hundreds of tons of toffee they saved with all those holes and dimples in a year.

1What about blue Smarties?

2Never knew why Opal Fruits became Starburst ?

3 Why did Olay become Ulay ?

And Fruit Polos were always stuck together !

• Upvote 1

Please folks, less of the quoting!!

Dare I ask without getting chided?

I stopped doing this after reading this remark a couple of weeks ago. I just don't know why.

Why is quoting a problem?

It seems the only sensible way to directly respond to a comment. Otherwise the thread is lost.

Surely that's what it is there for! What happens to the site to cause a problem?

It fills the data base up, Mick has requested everyone to reduce quoting, just use # and the number of the post you are answering.

• Upvote 2

#2462 I don't think anyone finds it difficult, Michael Booth.

It just makes logical and comon sense to use a feature that is provided.

If it really does cause so much trouble, then it makes sense to just remove the feature.

It is currenlty the only way that a member can quickly see that he has had a response to a post, because he is notified.

If quoting is not used and just the #xxxx, there is no notification process, so a member has to browse through all of the posts to go find if anyone responded, even when he felt no need to return to that particular forum.

In fact I only found the answers to my question here, by pure chance

I have discovered responses that I did not know had been made, much later... and may not have ever found at all, from people just using the #xxxx

Using the #xxxx means the member also has to know the number of his own post in that forum.

I am not sure I understand how 'one line of text' takes up more space than 'one line of text', in a database.

It does not seem to make any difference in my product, but then my programmer may work very differently and with different tools.

I would have thought there are a lot more space taking things in these forums, than quoting.

Somehow I think my customers would not understand being requested not to use a useful feature in our software.

• Upvote 1

Had occasion to be in Old Basford yesterday, and wondered if anyone can recall the little island where Church Street joined Western Boulevard near St Leo's church? Am not that sure I saw it myself! maybe I saw a picture of it sometime? just wondered when it was altered to traffic lights and no right turn allowed, similarly anyone know (doubt anyone alive who recalls it) when the alignment of Basford Crossings (then called Lincoln Street Crossings) was made altering the angle of the road to make David Lane the "main road" as opposed to Lincoln St with change of crossing name

I always knew it as Lincoln St. We played rugby at Mill St playing fields just off Bagnall Rd up until I left FFGS in 62.

Any pictures I've seen in steam days always refer to it as Lincoln St Crossing.

The whole area is a bottleneck and a total disaster for drivers. You can sit there twenty minutes at times waiting for the trains and the bloody trams. It should have been flattened and a flyover installed, but I think the old cinema is listed. If so, it's a joke !!!!

Ashley, in the Basford forum, the thread Old Roads Leadings into Old Basford, post #22 has a picture of the island, so you didn't imagine it.

Re: Lincoln Street crossing. I've posted this before somewhere, but it sort of shows how the earlier alignment might have been. The photographer is on Vernon Road; the lorry going away is going down Lincoln Street and the car poking its nose in is coming from David Lane.

cross.jpg

• Upvote 5

#2652 cliff ton pic.

I DON'T think the alignment has changed at all,........i also went across a few times on a 'Granville bike' ..........great picture.

Tea cosies !

Boys burning the back of their hand, setting fire to paper (or extermnating ants) with a magnifying glass !

Standard Ensigns

Germolene in yellow and blue tins.

Salvolatile

Liquorice powder

Liqufruta

Liquid paraffin

Mad magazine

The Topper

Toby Twirl

MY FEET (At least I cannot see them without a mirror)