Things you don't see anymore

Compo

Your 20th century tat is fascinating.

Have your heard of Beamish Museum? Its close to me, and at the moment they are calling out for any 1950s stuff as they are making a 1950's street. Some of the houses are for therapy for Alzheimer's sufferers who are baffled by modern techy stuff but remember with clarity the 1950s.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I am beginning to feel very outdated by many of the posts here.

I have turn ups on at least one of my suits, I always use cuff links and a tie pin (except on pyjamas) . I use a fountain pen in preference to a ball point and I still use a propelling pencil. I have segs on at least two pairs of shoes, although I usually refer to them as Blakeys. I bull my shoes with polish and water weekly. I wax my old barbour jacket.

I dont eat Werther's Originals though.

• Upvote 2

I'm a jeans and sweater man myself, but this time of year it's shorts and tee shirt...No idea what happened to my ties, don't have a suit, and most of my old dress jackets would be too tight on me.

Basically, these days when it comes to clothes and dress, I'm a slob, but a very comfortable slob...LOL

• Upvote 2

#2658: I have been to Beamish, the street is great. I had a long chat with the miner at the pit-head. I used to be an electrical apprentice in the South Notts coal field.

#2661: That reminds me......I still have and use my original 1½lb hammer from my apprentice toolkit. NO - not with several new hads and shafts but original in every respect.

• Upvote 1

Mine was a 1 1/4lb hammer compo, still has the original shaft, though cut down to fit the smaller toolbags I preferred on the long marches underground.

I later bought a heavier hammer, which I also still possess, well used and on it's umpteenth shaft.

Now you're talking my language Ayup',i know what an Hammer is,but as the subject of the thread is,........you don't see me use it anymore,lol.

If all else fails get the "ammer" out.. Problem these days is which "ammer"? My trusty "ammer" selection extends to small cross pein tack hammers to 2 1/2lb ball pein, to claw hammers of various weights...LOL Still wanna talk "ammers"

• Upvote 1

I'll lend you my pneumatic finish nail gun to nail it to the garden shed door then.

• Upvote 1

Parts, for anything over ten years old!!

#2663 Ayupmeduks: I took some steel wool to my hammerhead today and lo! it is also a 1¼lb head and not 1½ as I previously stated.

We were considered weaker than fitters Compo....LOL They had 1 1/2lb hammers... I bought the 2 1/2lb when I was in the repair trade.

• Upvote 1