Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

dgbrit, know what you mean! till 1974 when 28 it was mostly one a year or till tax ran out! when I knew Silform it was in Radford, somewhere near The Variety Club, another thing I recall was 2 tone cars, mostly died out by time I was driving but recall a red/grey 105E Anglia and a blue/grey Consul 375, guess theres lots on cars we don't see any more? Bench seats, column gear change, Boots, Peco boosters (a con) and nodding dogs,lol. Another thing I hoped I'd never see, ( loads in Turkey) was mosquitos but just killed 2! (Bingham is well known for such)

Hey Ashley

I used to buy big cars dirt cheap like Jags & 6 cyl stuff that nobody wanted 4 gal petrol 1 parafin & as the week went on 1 gal petrol 4 gal parafin even got to the stage start it on petrol switch to straight p when warm

If it rattled to much just retard timing

Best car i did have was Ford 1968 Thunderbird LHD 429 cu/in which works out to 6,864cc & it got 20+ mpg i have a pic somwhere

Ps tons of Mosquitoes here as we have rice fields & lots of farmland with standing water but even worse are Noseeums

PPs stick on rear window heaters & tigertail

What about the overdrive switch when cars only had four gears?

And I was going to say The Colortune Plug for tuning your carb?

But am amazed that Google tells me you can still buy them.

G4074_PACKAGING.jpg

There is a company in Sheffield who still build add-on overdrives - mostly for SUVs! Overdrive gearboxes are much sought after items for MGBs over here and yes, colortune plugs are still available (I have one) for tuning up the old carburetted cars!

Even two-tone cars are starting to make a comeback - you can get the Ford Flex with a different color roof, and one of the Subarus appears to be two-tone as the sill molding extends halfway up the doors! Maybe we will start to see fins soon?

Had to laugh at that one Kev. We had a Yellow Pages delivered to our doorstep just last week - threw it straight in the bin!

Same here...Lighter fluid in small brown rubber "bulbs"..tear off the end and squeese in to the lighter..Used to go to the corner shop and get dads Players for him..and I was 8 at the time!

20 Kensitas Cigs and two for your friends stuck to the side of the Pack.

And a machine that dispensed two Fags and some Matches.

1D Nestles Chocolate Machine on the Railway Platform

Crisps with a twist of salt inside.

Fog. ( Remember many a trip on a Trackless with the conductor walking in front to guide.)

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone recall those amazing grocery shops,Home and Colonial and Maypole? every thing seemed to be taken from something bigger,bacon sliced to your want,huge block of butter,sugar in blue paper bags.All the counter tops being thick marble, the row of big tins with loose biscuits,set at an angle on the customer side,glass lids to tempt everyone.

The little flat square piece of plastic with a a slot cut out that you used to re-seal the bread wrapper.

And the waxed paper bread wrappers that were great for 'greasing' the slide down on the wreck.

As mentioned elswhere, I witnessed a father put a young child on the top of the big slide by the 'padlo' dahn trent.

The slide had been treated with the wax method.

The child plummeted down the slide and travelled at great knots horizontally between the outstretched arms

and open legs of the mother at the bottom to catch the child!

A Policeman in the street !!!, Open topped paper Packet of five Woodbines, A Packet of Kensitas Cigs with a small pack of " Four for your friends" attached. KIds playing " Snobs " and Marbles, we used to stand a Haflpenny or a Penny in a crack in the Paving slabs and then from six or so Slabs away kids would try to hit the Coin and you would sit with your legs spread catching all the Marbles until it was hit. We would also play " Tin Can Alerty " , a Tin can would be kicked and whilst the fetcher went for the can the others would disperse to hide.--- Bread and Dripping Sandwiches !!!. Dad skinning a Rabbit hanging from a Nail. A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can.

" A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can" Must have been posh roadworks? the ones I recall had a coke brazier and a smoke blackened kettle, and you can still buy dripping, advertised as "delicious on toast" at Asda

Sometimes in the winter we would have "Watchman's Toast" - bread toasted on one side only using a toasting fork over the coal fire!

...run the risk of the holes becoming too big and losing the lot.

LOL - Ain't THAT the truth! My dad was an expert at fitting the bread to the toasting fork - I wasn't so good resulting in the odd slice going up in flames!

We used to toast pyklets the same way - for some reason they tasted much better than doing them in the toaster on the stove!

Yes re my first question it was indeed Meadow Lane Scrap, at one time the owner had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence! re my second question it was a boat, something like a 30ft steel ex lifeboat with a steel "shed" welded on the top, seemed to be there years in the open on grass, after the new road was opened it was just feet away from the kerb

had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence!

I used to work for Bell Fruit....yep thats a BIG no no in their eyes....

Yes re my first question it was indeed Meadow Lane Scrap, at one time the owner had a load of ex Bell Fruit one armed bandits in his yard, as I recall he sold some complete, and nearly got done for selling gaming machines without a licence or some similar offence! re my second question it was a boat, something like a 30ft steel ex lifeboat with a steel "shed" welded on the top, seemed to be there years in the open on grass, after the new road was opened it was just feet away from the kerb

I've put two and two together and worked this one out.

I think this is the answer to your own question in the "Lady Bay" post :unsure: referring to life on Meadow Lane. We seem to have jumped threads along the way!