Things you don't see anymore

" A night watchman at road works in a little open shelter with his Primus and Billy Can" Must have been posh roadworks? the ones I recall had a coke brazier and a smoke blackened kettle, and you can still buy dripping, advertised as "delicious on toast" at Asda

I always thought Bulwell was " Posh "

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I was in Crown Court today (Not in the dock)

The Court Usher had to have a word with a member of the public seated in the court.

Big bodybuilding type.

The Usher did not consider a string vest appropriate attire for the Crown Court.

Walking back to the station I saw two more guys in coloured string vests.

Yes Kath must be the fashion.

A bit like the 60s when we used to tie dye Grandad Vests, those with the buttons up the front.

Lol used to work at Meridian when i lived at Calverton was on piece work earned a good wack then in the 70s

Are UK-made clothes - especially underwear - 'things you don`t see anymore?'

I tried to get my OH some new vests last week and had to get 'made in China' ones in the end `cos I couldn`t find any others.

From the market to the posh shops there were none 'Made in Britain'. NONE!

Am I being naive?

I remember the Shippo's horses well. Brings back some memories :)

See also Shippo's Oss

The little flat square piece of plastic with a a slot cut out that you used to re-seal the bread wrapper.

On occasions those plastic things were swallowed accidentally in sandwiches.Due to the shape they would get tangled in the gut and could kill if not removed.So they stopped using them and went back to the bag ties.

Things you seem to see any more around our way - kids playing on the park!

There`s a lovely park near us - a big field, big enough for a couple of football games - a fenced off swing park with swings and slides - clumps of 'hide 'n seek' trees - but though I walk past it several times a day it`s always empty - even during the school holidays. It`s overlooked on all four sides by houses so I`d think it was safe enough.

There are lots of children living round about - even in the houses overlooking the park - but I don`t know where they play.

Eileen, I don't think kids know how to play nowadays. How to interact with other kids and run around playing games. I think they're all sat in front of a computer or game machine. We are losing a generation who don't know how to make a conversation. [climbing down from me soap box now]

Strange word association.

Ice inside the windows made me think of hearing the sound of people trying to start cars by using a starting handle.

My 57 Ford Popular had a starting handle with a six volt electrical system. Had to use the handle a few times. Really had to watch out for it to kick back. Had that happen a few times and it just about broke my wrist. Oh happy days eh!!

I had a 6 volt VW Campervan didn't we oldace, it was ok in daylight, not that bad where street lights were too but unlit roads at night? forget it! recall going to see Hawkwind at De Montfort Hall with it's then owner LFC plus Dougal, got totally lost coming home and finished up the other side of Saturn!

Ashley, after I bought the VW off you I got a job at Milton Keynes, which was being built at the time. The camper was useful as I didn't have to fork out for digs. You're right about the 6 volt lights, after work I used to drive around the village pubs of Bedfordshire with a few other workers who were in caravans. In one village there was a house that stuck out a bit on a left hander. I lost the nearside mirror on that bend.

Fortunately the breatherlizer was not used so much in the early 70's, and I managed to keep my license during the months I was there. Nowadays I do not drink any alcohol at all if driving. IIRC the brakes were not much cop on that VW either. But experienced bikers make very good car drivers.

BTW you mentioned ending up on the other side of Saturn when returning from the Hawkwind gig. That would have been the 'In Search of Space' tour then. !sickly! :laugh:

White dog s***

Cheers

Robt P.

One theory...

a product of the 1970's,white dog sh1t was everywhere! it was all over the place because once upon a time high quantities of chalk were addded to tins of dog food therefore when a dog would take a sh1t after a few days in the sunshine the poo would dry out and eventually turn white. nowadays pet food manufacturers don't use chalk in their food and this is why we don't see any more white dog sh1t lying around.

bring back white dog sh1t it's so nostalgic.